What type of mini excavator should i buy??

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #31  
I'm not going to say it affects the lifting ability of the machine - because ZTS vs. Full tail are just two different kinds of machines, set up for different purposes. Yes, the laws of physics dictates that a ZTS will pick up less then a full tail machine. But on the flip side - you can fit in smaller areas, you can get closer etc. If you're maxing out your lifting capacity of your machine that much to worry about it, you're using the wrong size machine to begin with. At least, that's what I believe.

My biggest issue with ZTS machines is working on them. It's 5lbs of crap shoved into a 2lb bag basically. You either have to take off all the body panels to get to things, or in the worse case scenario, you have to split the machine to change some things. They've basically stacked the motor / hydro pump / all the lines / electronics right on top of each other and it can be a real nightmare at times. 2 years ago I replaced the majority of the hydraulic lines on the 301.5. It took over a day to do, because of having to snake them out, measure them, then snake the new ones in. There are some that control the turn table that there is an access panel to see (about a 4 inch hole) but you physically cannot get a wrench into them to get them off. So if you had to replace them, you have to split the machine. But it's like anything anymore - are you going to fix it yourself? Or are you going to take it somewhere to get fixed? The turn table hydro lines might be a pain to get to - but they're protected and pretty much will never go bad. So I'm not worried about them, it's just one of those things you think of while tearing it apart.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #32  
Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting a small excavation business that deals in the removal/excavation of stumps, trenches, small basements/foundations, and any other excavation work that you all think I should take part in. (any information is helpful so I can widen my clientele range)

My question is what brand, type, and size excavator should I purchase.

The sizes that I should be looking at for the type of work that I want to do (correct me if I'm wrong) is from the 2 ton-6 ton mini.

So any information is helpful as to what type of machine I need, thank you very much!!

Suspecting you are new to much of this I recommend you talk to CAT rentals and Deere rentals or whoever else is close to you that you consider dealing with. Make arrangements to rent the equipment as needed atleast until you have a better idea of what you need and have some business. Lots of times the rental can be applied to the purchase cost too. With frequent rentals you would probably qualify for a lower rate and basically could rent the right equipment for the jobs at hand. Once you have some seat time and a better idea of what you need you would be in a better position.

I went through this process a few years ago and wound up buying a 110tlb with some extras for a good reason. Cheaper to move around with a service truck, one trip to small jobs with the equipment, materials and tools. One trip improves the bottom line. For larger jobs I may bring in more equipment such as the dump trailer or other tractors. An important thing to remember about this is you can only operate one machine at a time before you start paying others to do so. I often work by myself (really prefer it) and catch myself operating a garden tractor while having four trucks, four tractors and a multitude of implements parked. Be careful what you aim for.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #33  
I'm not going to say it affects the lifting ability of the machine - because ZTS vs. Full tail are just two different kinds of machines, set up for different purposes. Yes, the laws of physics dictates that a ZTS will pick up less then a full tail machine. But on the flip side - you can fit in smaller areas, you can get closer etc. If you're maxing out your lifting capacity of your machine that much to worry about it, you're using the wrong size machine to begin with. At least, that's what I believe.

My biggest issue with ZTS machines is working on them. It's 5lbs of crap shoved into a 2lb bag basically. You either have to take off all the body panels to get to things, or in the worse case scenario, you have to split the machine to change some things. They've basically stacked the motor / hydro pump / all the lines / electronics right on top of each other and it can be a real nightmare at times. 2 years ago I replaced the majority of the hydraulic lines on the 301.5. It took over a day to do, because of having to snake them out, measure them, then snake the new ones in. There are some that control the turn table that there is an access panel to see (about a 4 inch hole) but you physically cannot get a wrench into them to get them off. So if you had to replace them, you have to split the machine. But it's like anything anymore - are you going to fix it yourself? Or are you going to take it somewhere to get fixed? The turn table hydro lines might be a pain to get to - but they're protected and pretty much will never go bad. So I'm not worried about them, it's just one of those things you think of while tearing it apart.

I agree with you, ZTS machines are great till you need to work on them. I went with a conventional but that is because I found a great deal on my machine. I would have preferred a ZTS because I intend to use the machine around houses doing foundation work as well as working in the vineyard where it can get a little tight. I can make my machine work and since I am using it a lot in open areas as well it will work well for me. If the majority of my work was residential then I would have held off for a ZTS. I believe the OP would be better off with a ZTS though since his area is mainly residential and he will make more money working in the towns around Buffalo then I would make working out here in the country and small towns. But I don't use my machine to make a living, it is just another tool for the farm and construction company. I will easily use it more on the farm doing drainage and cleanup then on jobsites making money. I did enjoy running my friends ZTS though before I bought my machine. Working on a foundation project it was great not needing to worry about the tail.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #34  
My issue with getting a JD110 or any small back hoe is this:

Yes, it does the job of both a Skidloader and an Excavator, also throw in the ability to be a tractor. But it doesn't do the job of a skid loader, or excavator well. So it all depends on the type of business you're going to try to start with it. If you're going to be doing drainage work, foundation walls, etc... A 110 isn't going to work nearly as well as an excavator.

JD 110's have their use, don't get me wrong and I wish I had one. But it all depends on the business you're going to develop.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #35  
My issue with getting a JD110 or any small back hoe is this:

Yes, it does the job of both a Skidloader and an Excavator, also throw in the ability to be a tractor. But it doesn't do the job of a skid loader, or excavator well. So it all depends on the type of business you're going to try to start with it. If you're going to be doing drainage work, foundation walls, etc... A 110 isn't going to work nearly as well as an excavator.

JD 110's have their use, don't get me wrong and I wish I had one. But it all depends on the business you're going to develop.

Not sure who your reply was directed to but I will take a stab at it.:D
You are right that an excavator will do some things the 110 can't do. The 110 will do some things the excavator can't do either.:confused3: For a couple of years I used the Cat 301.5 thru 304.5 machines paired with the 902 and 906 wheel loaders. Worked great, really liked them but the cost was more than I wanted to spend, but the real clincher was transporting two machines all the time. I initially didn't like the 110 but gave it another look after 3 years and it made more sense. I have a great friend with a large excavating company who will provide me with anything I need. In the last 7 years I have had to call him in 3 times, other than that I have been able to do everything with my equipment.

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #36  
In urban areas a 110 usually won't fit anywhere. Too long to setup and only 180 swing. I use my 1026r for this. It's tiny and I still think it's too long and awkward for work around buildings

/ What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #37  
swick1,
How about a Kubota K008? Thirty two inches wide, fits thru the doorways. I agree there are limitations in close quarters. I can see your point about urban areas, just another reason to stay out of such places. Working in this yard wasn't a picnic either, the cleared area in the middle is where the septic tank is.

Attachments

• Taylor rear yard 002.jpg
    Taylor rear yard 002.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 243
   / What type of mini excavator should i buy?? #38  
swick1,
How about a Kubota K008? Thirty two inches wide, fits thru the doorways. I agree there are limitations in close quarters. I can see your point about urban areas, just another reason to stay out of such places. Working in this yard wasn't a picnic either, the cleared area in the middle is where the septic tank is.

I think a 35 is about the right size for small jobs. The deere 17d I ran was as much of a joke as my 1026r :)

I guess we both agree that you should use the biggest machine you can!