How many hours is a lot?

/ How many hours is a lot? #11  
Im new to the forum, looking to buy a tractor from the used market. I dont know much about tractors, just went and looked at my first one tonight(ford 2000). Fresh/clean oil leaking from joint right under seat, all 4 tires rotted, yet tractor said 914hrs. Now I want to go look at a ford 3600 diesel and the guy told me it has just under 4300hrs. Judging by the hours on the first one, I figured mint condition, but it wasnt. So now Im contemplating the other one and thinking is it worn out with that many hours? Im also not finding much on the ford 3600 looking thru the forums, was it not a very popular model?
thanks,
Ken

Unless you have maintenance records on that 3600, you're flying blind. That diesel could be in good condition or it could be headed for major (read expensive) repairs in the near future. My 1964 MF135 diesel had 4600 hours showing when I bought it for $3600 in Jul06. But the seller had to break into the engine around 3000 hours to replace a cracked crankshaft. So he installed the rebuild kit at that time. That 135 tested OK so I went for it. Right now it has pto clutch problems that showed up a few years ago. But you expect stuff like this to happen on 50 year old tractors.

Test drive that 3600 and check for all the obvious problems (fluid leaks, funny looking smoke from the engine, shifting problems in the tranny and pto, electrical problems, etc). Then adjust your bid based on these results, figure in a discount for high engine hours and see if the seller will deal.

Good luck.

/ How many hours is a lot?
Unless you have maintenance records on that 3600, you're flying blind. That diesel could be in good condition or it could be headed for major (read expensive) repairs in the near future. My 1964 MF135 diesel had 4600 hours showing when I bought it for $3600 in Jul06. But the seller had to break into the engine around 3000 hours to replace a cracked crankshaft. So he installed the rebuild kit at that time. That 135 tested OK so I went for it. Right now it has pto clutch problems that showed up a few years ago. But you expect stuff like this to happen on 50 year old tractors.

Test drive that 3600 and check for all the obvious problems (fluid leaks, funny looking smoke from the engine, shifting problems in the tranny and pto, electrical problems, etc). Then adjust your bid based on these results, figure in a discount for high engine hours and see if the seller will deal.

Good luck.

That particular ford is a guy that lives within 1 mile of me. He is mutual friends with my neighbor who farms. Id like to think if he knew there was something wrong, he might be inclined to tell me, rather then intentionally screw me. He has owned the tractor for 6yrs, bought a 4x4 with front loader so doesnt need this one. I saw people questioned the price, and Im not sure how to get an accurate price on tractors. I went to tractordata and the 3600's are "asking" a lot more then $4500, so that kinda scared me initially thinking this one must be junk? Then guys on here are telling me its over priced by $1k and your saying make a bid, meaning its likely over priced? I buy my cars used and by sticking with Ford, have been extremely fortunate to not have got a lemon. Is there a link to a post that describes specific things to check when buying a tractor? How do you do a compression check on a diesel? Gas or Diesel, where can I find what the cranking compression should be?

/ How many hours is a lot? #13  
We have a 2003 Kubota L3000 with FEL and 1500 hours, always shredded, medium- hard usage. A month ago we considered it in good condition, but then it started making a gear train noise. The Kubota dealer wanted $2,200 just to disassemble and reassemble, so we took out the wrenches and got to work. After identifying the worn parts creating the noise and pricing them at the dealer, we are talking over $2,500 in parts, all from a well maintained and what I feel is low hour tractor. Location Independence, MO. So low hours gave little meaning. Appearance has little meaning. Country of origin has little meaning. Win the lottery and buy new.