How many hours is a lot?

/ How many hours is a lot? #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Im new to the forum, looking to buy a tractor from the used market. I dont know much about tractors, just went and looked at my first one tonight(ford 2000). Fresh/clean oil leaking from joint right under seat, all 4 tires rotted, yet tractor said 914hrs. Now I want to go look at a ford 3600 diesel and the guy told me it has just under 4300hrs. Judging by the hours on the first one, I figured mint condition, but it wasnt. So now Im contemplating the other one and thinking is it worn out with that many hours? Im also not finding much on the ford 3600 looking thru the forums, was it not a very popular model?
thanks,
Ken

/ How many hours is a lot? #2  
You will likely look at several before you find the right one. The maintenance and care is more important that the age and/or hours imo. The newer tractors often have features I am looking for while often the older simple tractors have less features or problems. I am sure you are just trying to sort all of this "tractor stuff" out, my recommendation is to start looking and searching and compare for a little while to get an idea of what a good tractor is before you buy.

/ How many hours is a lot? #3  
It's hard to find used tractors that have been well taken care of. I would be pretty forgiving of the hours if I found a tractor that was well taken care of.

/ How many hours is a lot? #4  
The amount of hours usually represents the maintenance and care it has got for older tractors in particular. Most should have upwards of 2000hours.

/ How many hours is a lot? #5  
You are coming up with some of the right questions but what I would suggest is to keep looking far and wide to learn more about what suits your needs and your wants. I would suggest learning from one of the on line used tractor listing agents such as Tractor House. Don't just look close by, look all over the US and learn about the various types, sizes, HP, implements, etc. don't buy the first one you see. Remember also that its not just about price, it's about getting the right tractor to fit your needs.

Welcome and good luck.

/ How many hours is a lot? #6  
I just bought a 67 Massey 135 with 5000 hours at 1800 or so rpm. The tractor runs great and the price was right. Write down your wants and needs for a tractor then post back and you will get more help than you need. :cool: Oh Yea Welcome to TBN.

/ How many hours is a lot? #7  
And don,t believe the hour meter. Look at all the other teltale signs as well.
An hour meter can be broken and not repaired for several years.

/ How many hours is a lot? #8  
The hour meter on our MF 35 broke at around 5300 hours. But Dad and I (mostly Dad) did all the scheduled maintenance on it and sold it a few years ago for a good price. The buyer does restoration work and he said it did not need much mechanical work. The job he did on it was excellent. Also, we kept it under roof, which helps greatly in keeping it in working order. A tractor kept outside with 1000 hours can easily be in worse shape than a tractor with 2000 hours kept in the barn. Not always true, but many tractors kept under roof get better maintenance than those left outdoors just because it is easier to work on them. Good luck.

/ How many hours is a lot? #9  
Sitting ouside for years not being used I think wears them out sooner than something that's been taken care of with more hours.

/ How many hours is a lot? #10  
I sold a 1959 MF-65 with 11,000 + on the hourmeter. The meter was working and with those hours, assumed it had always worked but I could be wrong. The tractor worked very well and didn't smoke or leak oil anywhere. Hours need to be taken with a pinch of salt - mechanical condition is as important as the hours if not more so.
As others have said, research, research research and don't buy the first one you see. Expect to spend many weeks (months?) looking before you get what you want (and need). Be patient and you will do just fine.

HTH

Jim