Kubota L4740, L45, or M59

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59
About the only time I use cruise is when driving my rv across the country in 8-12 hour solid driving stints. But, I guess I could cut a wedge stick if mowing takes that long.... Maybe I should do the math on that.

If I have a 10 rotary mower, what would be a good average speed for pretty level land?

Appreciate all your excellent input!

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #13  
It depends on how much power you have, how smooth the ground is, and how rough or thick of stuff you are mowing. I have heard some people claim they mow 8mph but you would have to have some smooth ground for that or you would beat yourself and the tractor to peices. I think realistically 3-5mph(or at least for the rough ground in my area), you may be able to go faster in spots and you may have to go slower in spots. I have seen some places were you have to crawl like the a portion of the feild was plowed and nothing was ever done to it.

Check lanscapecalculator.com for their mowing calculator to get a idea of how long it will take. Don't foget you will not get a full 10' cut out of a 10' cutter.

Have you thought about a cab since you have so much mowing? It is really nice being able to stay cool and helps out on the alergies.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #14  
About the only time I use cruise is when driving my rv across the country in 8-12 hour solid driving stints. But, I guess I could cut a wedge stick if mowing takes that long.... Maybe I should do the math on that.

I think it is more than just a simple convenience option, for instance if you were tilling and found that the maximum speed you could travel and still do a good job was 1.8 mph then cruise could maintain that speed for you. Same thing putting out seed, fertilizer and spraying herbicides, you need to control application rates. Don't know about Kubota's cruise control but on my Deere 4520 the cruise will set in increments of .1 mph. You can increase or decrease in .1 mph increments and can resume these speeds like an auto.

In my experiences these built in features are better to have to start with even if you don't see the need at the outset. Once you have a new tractor you will often find yourself broadening your scope of work to include lots of additional tasks. Same is true with hydraulic options, better to have all the options whether you add them as Brian has done or go with the M59 which has good options. Topntilt requires two circuits and a rearblade would need two additional circuits for blade rotation and offset left or right, That is four rear circuits for full control of a rearblade, most implements would be two or three.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #15  
If I have a 10 rotary mower, what would be a good average speed for pretty level land?

Appreciate all your excellent input!

Agree with others, this is hard to say since the conditions are unknown to us. For sure pulling a wider mower at a slower pace is a good hedge on getting the best coverage at the lowest travel speed. If in the near future you can smooth up the fields if needed by discing and harrowing then you could run faster and spend less time mowing.

Sounds reasonable on all counts. Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the excellent help and direction. Sounds like if i spend multiple hours mowing, use PTO with many other applications, thenI need to think long and hard before sacrificing cruise for bigger FEL and backhoe capability.

Found a new 2011 m8540 and 9540. Good deals on both. Think I may go that route.