Kubota L4740, L45, or M59

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #1  

joe0189

Tractor
Kubota M8560
Hello.

Log time reader with little need to post but now face a decision. We have purchased a new place with 40 acres and the possibility to add another 40 or so. The land is mostly level and clear. However there are about 8.5 acres of woods I would like to clear. Other tasks I will need to perform are mowing, tilling, grading, post holes, and general loading/lifting. My bx-23 was a great entry to therapy on a tractor, but certainly I need something much larger.

I started looking at Kubota's L4740 because it was the biggest non-turbo engine I could get with the 854 loader. By the time I ad a backhoe with thumb and other bells and whistles, it gets right up against the L45 in price. I really like the crawl capability, bigger dig capacity, single seat, pump flow, and general sturdiness of the L45. Yet, the PTO horsepower is only 36, vs 40 on the 4740. I loose cruise and other features of the Grand L series as well. All of this leaves me wondering which I should do.

To make matters slightly more difficult, I could make a plausible (but stretch) argument for stepping up to a M-59 and use it for "work" as well. I could put a hammer on it for light demo and the digging capacity is enough I might even be able to pull some underground storage tanks. Ultimately though, we will need something like a Cat 315. So, I am not sure I can justify another $11,000 to step up to the M59 but it sure looks like an impressive machine.

Are there other machines I should consider? I have looked at the Deere 110 but my closest Deere dealer isn't the best. I looked the JCB midi but saw here where PTO hp is only 25, which is an absolute deal killer. If no other machines are comparable, which of these would you kind souls recommend?

Thanks in advance.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #2  
I would go for the M59, good backhoe loader machine, put on a 3PH and have a tractor big enough to get something accomplished on 40 to 80 acres. This is more important if you are looking at hilly land, the hills really tax tractors abilities. I have a 110tlb which has been a great machine for me but also have a 4520 (60hp) for most 3PH work, the M59 can handle both jobs well.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #3  
I have it but you can live without the cruise control,very seldom use it.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #4  
I never have used my cruise other than playing with it to see how it worked. What do you need the PTO power for as in how large of a implement do you wan to pull?

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #5  
my tractor dont have nor do i need its to slow to drive on the roads it only does 20mph did you look at the M series tractor like the 5140 they have the 1153 fel the m series is a lot bigger of a frame tractor my tractor fel lift almost all of what i ask of it the only thing i cant lift the back of a 7 ton dump up and the other thing a like about my M that it will cut most rocks in half sand stone any way when digging dirt lose best of luck to you i have a 7040sud

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59
Thanks guys. I'd like to pull as large a mower as I can afford. For now that might be 10 ft. If Santa is good to me maybe a small bat wing. That will be the most commonly used implement.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59
I'll be mowing 30+ acres. Salesman acted like that was a lot to not have cruise. Any of you guys mowing anything of any size with an M? How's it do? What do you pull to do so?

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #8  
Rhino has a 10ft rotary cutter that takes 35 pto hp. I would not want to pull it regularly with the minimum power they specify. I guess you would need a machine at least the size of the M59. Like case245 said a M5140 or 7040 may be worth considering too.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #9  
I'll be mowing 30+ acres. Salesman acted like that was a lot to not have cruise. Any of you guys mowing anything of any size with an M? How's it do? What do you pull to do so?

It would be not be much different than driving a car with out cruise. The hydro pedal pushes a little harder. I mow with my Bx and it has cruise that I don't use, I can go faster in the smoother area then slow up at a rougher spot or when turning. One thing that would make the cruise on a Grand L better for mowing is you have a lever on your left you use to control your speed, it is not like other tractors where you press the pedal and lock it in place. Also you can set the cruise on a Grand L and use the hydro pedal to increase your speed and let of the hydro and it will return to the speed you had the cruise set on.

/ Kubota L4740, L45, or M59 #10  
Sounds like you are doing good research into the features and capabilities of the various machines...also that you have needs for a tractor/hoe beyond the 40 acres you just purchased. I would say that I can't recall, ever, seeing a comment where some one was lamenting having purchased TOO MUCH tractor and I have seen MANY posts where people talk about "moving up" to more hp. My recommendation would be to purchase the most HP that you can get while not forgetting that it is the attachments which get the job done...and you need money to purchase them as well.

Of course, larger tractor means larger implements, which means more dollars, but also mean more work done in less time. Only you can decide where the best mix is but my recommendation is to go bigger.