Tractor Sizing Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #21  
That MF is a 130 not a 135, is that correct? . Why is a 9n bad? A 3000 series is better.

the old N don't have the trans options.. tilling needs an 8spd tranny from that era.. or a 10spd i guess.. (cough)

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #22  
The price on the 3000 seems high I paid $3800 for my 3000 4 years ago. Diesel,power steering 730 loader and the infamous selectospeed, although he had paperwork for a $1300 trans rebuild by the local New Holland dealer. Still running good. I don't think you'll be impressed with back blading for plowing without loaded tires, chains and if the snow is deep some luck- without a loader.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #23  
the price you paid ( 3800$ ) for a 3000 with loader was low.. but likely because it was an SOS machine.. they tend to sell lower than 8spds..

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #24  
I just noticed you list an LS2030H....you don't think that will clear your snow, and do the garden work you plan?

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #25  
No argument there, but my concern is whether a 2 stage blower on a 3000 would push the overall price up by possibly a couple more grand, and if he would be better of getting a tractor with a loader instead. With a blower the road could be cleared in two non stop passes, much faster, and a little more neck strain, with a loader more time consuming, but if stuck the loader can help get un stuck using the bucket. Then there all the other uses the loader can be used for, some of which I am still discovering. I guess it all depends on needs and budget.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #26  
Why is a 9n bad? A 3000 series is better.
Let me take a stab at that question. The trouble with 9Ns is that they have a following akin to a cult that loves them beyond all reason. The same is true for the JD two cylinder Johnny poppers, the Farmall cubs and old Cub Cadets. Cult members look at an old 9N with a worn out engine as a restoration project they can sink their teeth (And money) into and will pay more for the carcass broke down then it will be worth restored on a work it can do basis as they don't ever plan on working it beyond running it in a parade or two. There is nothing wrong with that hobby and it is a lot cheaper then say classic car restoration but it does drive prices out of range for anyone with a budget with field work to do. You can spend your money better on a tractor that is decades newer with all the design improvements that were worked out by farmers using those old 9Ns and JD As, Bs ,and Farmall super Cs.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #27  
also.. 9n are featureless.. :)

no live hyds.. no oe possibility of live pto.. basic 3 spd tranny.. etc.. etc.. etc.

no oe ext hyds capability really.. etc.

rear hubs / brakes make you work, to work on them.

steering box is not as easy to R&R as 8n and later models.. etc

( list goes on and on )

no position control hyds..e tc..

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #28  
I have been told by many to stay away from the 8/9n tractors.

The 8N is the better of the two, but still not ideal for many tasks, mostly because it lacks a live, or independent PTO. I use mine for real work....brush hogging, mowing, clearing snow, grading, etc, but it definitely has limitations. Around here, you can get a pretty nice 8N for $2500 or so.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #29  
Try a nice MF 135

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #30  
Having owned a 1964 MF135 diesel for twenty years that was a great tractor I am partial to the MF135's. I would say if you looked around you could find a nice one in this price range.

I'm also partial to the Massey 135 tractor. :thumbsup: