Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS2030H

Default Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under

Id like to get some advice from guys that have tractors, since Im new to all this. Im looking for a tractor that would be good for moving snow(1/4 mile drive way) and simple food plot type work(mow/disc or till/cultipack). Im looking for used and trying to stay under $5k. I live in MI and the annual snow fall is all over the map. I could probably get by with an ATV, but Id like to get a tractor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Ken

Tractor
    Kubota L3710

Default Re: Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under

I have a 2003 Kioti CK 20 gear drive with 4wd and FEL that I gave 5k for about 2 years ago. It is not very big, but in my opinion it is a lot of tractor for the money. If you want bigger, you will have to go a older and probably 2wd. Good luck.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

I would look at a 4wd Yanmar Diesel tractor. Parts can be obtained via hoye tractor and Yanmar Diesels are very reliable. I purchased a YM169D (16 hp 4wd) for $2800 and it was a great little tractor. Pair that with a loader and you will have it made in the shade.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn1320 View Post
    Id like to get some advice from guys that have tractors, since Im new to all this. Im looking for a tractor that would be good for moving snow(1/4 mile drive way) and simple food plot type work(mow/disc or till/cultipack). Im looking for used and trying to stay under $5k. I live in MI and the annual snow fall is all over the map. I could probably get by with an ATV, but Id like to get a tractor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    Ken
    What are you looking for? What implements would you like to run? Implements would determine the HP size. Diesel or gas? Do you want a FEL on your tractor?
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS2030H

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    What are you looking for? What implements would you like to run? Implements would determine the HP size. Diesel or gas? Do you want a FEL on your tractor?
    If I get pto driven implements, I would be looking at a 5ft brush hog, 5ft tiller, maybe a 2 stage snow blower.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Having owned a 1964 MF135 diesel for twenty years that was a great tractor I am partial to the MF135's. I would say if you looked around you could find a nice one in this price range.

It is an interesting question. What used tractor in the $5000 range will give the best value? everyone will of course champion the tractor they have in the yard, just human nature don't you know. You can't expect a used tractor in that price range to be trouble free and of course it is beyond any warranty so it becomes what you paid for it plus anything you have to have repaired on it to make it go for the next five years or so. And you might add in ( and this can be a big one) how much you will pay to rent a replacement tractor while yours is in the shop and you have work that "Has to be done". Shop carefully. A worn out green tractor is just as worn out as a red , orange or blue one.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

This is sharp tractor for an excellent price. These MF135's are about as good as you can get.

I Pulled The Trigger

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038e

John Deere 3038e
    Kentucky

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS2030H

OK guys, found a couple tractors that seem to fit my criteria. Share your thoughts, both in terms of reliability, potential repair cost differences, functions/features that are good bad, etc. Basically do you feel these are a good match for me and if so which one and why.
    MF130 Perkins Diesel 2100hrs well maintained in very good condition(their words, not mine), 4spd hi/low trans, live power, pto, newer tires and battery, tool box, extra lighting, $4900
    -mf135-jpg
    Ford 3600 3cyl diesel 4200hrs, 8fwd speeds/2rvs, tires and rims are good(not loaded). He replaced a tube in one rear, water pump new 2yrs ago, injector pump rebuilt 2yrs ago($1800), 1 remote out back. $4500
    -ford3600-jpg
    thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by Kenn1320; 12-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast