Tractor Sizing Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Id like to get some advice from guys that have tractors, since Im new to all this. Im looking for a tractor that would be good for moving snow(1/4 mile drive way) and simple food plot type work(mow/disc or till/cultipack). Im looking for used and trying to stay under $5k. I live in MI and the annual snow fall is all over the map. I could probably get by with an ATV, but Id like to get a tractor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Ken

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #2  
I have a 2003 Kioti CK 20 gear drive with 4wd and FEL that I gave 5k for about 2 years ago. It is not very big, but in my opinion it is a lot of tractor for the money. If you want bigger, you will have to go a older and probably 2wd. Good luck.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #3  
I would look at a 4wd Yanmar Diesel tractor. Parts can be obtained via hoye tractor and Yanmar Diesels are very reliable. I purchased a YM169D (16 hp 4wd) for $2800 and it was a great little tractor. Pair that with a loader and you will have it made in the shade. :thumbsup:

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #4  
Id like to get some advice from guys that have tractors, since Im new to all this. Im looking for a tractor that would be good for moving snow(1/4 mile drive way) and simple food plot type work(mow/disc or till/cultipack). Im looking for used and trying to stay under $5k. I live in MI and the annual snow fall is all over the map. I could probably get by with an ATV, but Id like to get a tractor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Ken

What are you looking for? What implements would you like to run? Implements would determine the HP size. Diesel or gas? Do you want a FEL on your tractor?

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under
What are you looking for? What implements would you like to run? Implements would determine the HP size. Diesel or gas? Do you want a FEL on your tractor?

If I get pto driven implements, I would be looking at a 5ft brush hog, 5ft tiller, maybe a 2 stage snow blower.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #6  
Having owned a 1964 MF135 diesel for twenty years that was a great tractor I am partial to the MF135's. I would say if you looked around you could find a nice one in this price range.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under #7  
It is an interesting question. What used tractor in the $5000 range will give the best value? everyone will of course champion the tractor they have in the yard, just human nature don't you know. You can't expect a used tractor in that price range to be trouble free and of course it is beyond any warranty so it becomes what you paid for it plus anything you have to have repaired on it to make it go for the next five years or so. And you might add in ( and this can be a big one) how much you will pay to rent a replacement tractor while yours is in the shop and you have work that "Has to be done". Shop carefully. A worn out green tractor is just as worn out as a red , orange or blue one.

/ Tractor Recomendations please $5k and under
OK guys, found a couple tractors that seem to fit my criteria. Share your thoughts, both in terms of reliability, potential repair cost differences, functions/features that are good bad, etc. Basically do you feel these are a good match for me and if so which one and why.
MF130 Perkins Diesel 2100hrs well maintained in very good condition(their words, not mine), 4spd hi/low trans, live power, pto, newer tires and battery, tool box, extra lighting, $4900
mf135.jpg
Ford 3600 3cyl diesel 4200hrs, 8fwd speeds/2rvs, tires and rims are good(not loaded). He replaced a tube in one rear, water pump new 2yrs ago, injector pump rebuilt 2yrs ago($1800), 1 remote out back. $4500
ford3600.jpg
thanks,
Ken

Last edited: