A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Thanks Soundguy. Your knowledge is much appreciated. Thanks for the numbers. Sorry I should have said 860, 861/4000. Preferably a 861, 4000 gasser. Just a matter of what comes up I guess. A couple nice early model 4000's in TN, just logistically too far from me. I will be sure to make note of the numbers. Thanks again.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #22  
good luck

/ A little bit more technical advice please #23  
Sound guy, as always, sounds an expert on these old tractors (well, doesn't only sound, real.)
I am not so knowledgable, but, I'd study availability of aftermarket parts when chosing models. I don't know if their aftermarket parts of these old tractors are still being manufactured in USA or not (my guess is they are imported parts mostly and, mostly from Turkey.) So, reproduction situation of parts of these models here will be another factor for your decision. For example, MF 135 parts are easily available as there are many small manufacturing workshops still manufacturing their parts while parts for 230, etc are not mfg-ed by many. Ford 3000 parts too are easily available, though not as easier than MF 135 parts. This, new aftermarket part availability, is another factor, maybe, most important factor especially about old tractors.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #24  
you can buy every nut and bolt for the tractors he's looking for...

the sheet metal is even going to be reproduced in full, soon. Some of it already is.

what isn't available new, is surely available aftermarket and salvage. Ford use the red tiger engine in industrial applications years after the 64 tractor production stopped.

lots of common parts 53-64 and from 55-64 entire sections can swap easilly.

very well supported...

Hey Mr Soundguy. I know its been a long time, like 3 months! Hope its alright to bring this thread back around...? But just wanted to give you a thanks again and let you know I finally found my new to me tractor today. A '63 Ford 4000. I had been searching high and low, those models are hard to come around here. Anyways I am sure to be asking you and the other fellow members some more questions. Maybe you can suggest a better manual than the service manual I got for my 2N. I will try to post some pics up here, but not really sure how to. Thanks Soundguy.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #26  
Hey Mr Soundguy. I know its been a long time, like 3 months! Hope its alright to bring this thread back around...? But just wanted to give you a thanks again and let you know I finally found my new to me tractor today. A '63 Ford 4000. I had been searching high and low, those models are hard to come around here. Anyways I am sure to be asking you and the other fellow members some more questions. Maybe you can suggest a better manual than the service manual I got for my 2N. I will try to post some pics up here, but not really sure how to. Thanks Soundguy.

Bump for SG

/ A little bit more technical advice please #27  
that 63 4000 is a beefy machine. I have a 63 4000 rowcrop. love it.

a basic service manual is the I&T fo-20 it won't cover EVERYTHING.. but covers most of the general stuff.

post any questions you have... i love those machines...

Yeah 6 months and 2 states away I think I found what I was looking for. Soundguy what other manual would supplement the I&T (FO-20). I have an I&T for my 2N but it is very very general. I have seen what is listing as a shop manual on eBay...? And a quick muffler question... It has some muffler shop special homemade vertical bend which won't work for me where I run. I know I will need all 3 pieces to convert back to horizontal configuration. I see some mufflers listed to fit all '53-'64 models. But the 861, 4000 models with the bigger manifolds need the 2" muffler and tube size not the 1 3/4" that fits all others...? The tractor also came with an aux hydro valve under the seat witch I believe to be a double valve with 2 levers but only one wet line out...? I will have to try to get some more info on the valve, and maybe a picture for an ID on it. I can't figure out how to post a picture on here from my phone...? Thanks for the help.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #29  
i've seen lots of vertical exhaust.. some good.. some bad. the bad ones are manifold breakers.. or sheet metal ruiners.

get a good oe style muffler.. or at least a will fit style. stanley has a cheaper line that will fit.. might not be as quiet.

on t he valve.. if it has 2 levers.. it is a dual spool. one is likely DA and the other may be DA/SA selectable.

look for a total of 4 ports. many times peiople may have only needed a single SA port for a lift cyl, and only use dthe da/sa selectable side, enabled sa function, and saved money on hoses and ran a single line.. and plugged the other 3 ports.

a master parts catalog is nice to have.

the fo-20 takes you thru everything but major rebuild or trans service.. etc..

/ A little bit more technical advice please #30  
I'm just curious, from your original post, at what size do you feel comfortable driving over septic tanks versus what size would you start worrying you might break that lid?