A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Hey RobbyR, I did ask this question to my local "honey wagon" man a while back... Here in SC I am not sure of the building code but I have yet to see a septic less than 16" in the ground. when asked I was told I was good to drive over the system with an average size car. (google search of an average size car is about 4000lbs.) And to worry more about the baffle tubes/pipes(4" pvc) than the tank or in the question you asked the lid...? seems to make sense to me, my lid is precast pretty stout, and I am sure I could break the pvc pipes before that lid would break. So to the tractors... Of the tractors I was interested in... the '63 4000 is was most power for the least amount of weight and in chassis not much bigger than a 600 series tractor. The 3000 and 3600 weigh more and in some cases more than an average size car with about the same power as the 4000 I bought. (I found this info on tractordata.com) This information I found/came up with, could possibly be inaccurate so don't take it as the cold hard fact. It is good enough for me though.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #32  
Tractordata says my Mahindra 4500 weighs between 4700 and 5700 and it found the grease trap week before last. I didn't realize it til I moved the tractor and then the next day saw where the back tire had been sitting. That lid is partially cratered now.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #33  
I'm just curious, from your original post, at what size do you feel comfortable driving over septic tanks versus what size would you start worrying you might break that lid?

i've driven over my own a few times with a tractor the weighs 5K easilly.. mind you that's not all in 1 spot..a dn it is spread out. onthe other hand.. I've seen the right front tire of a mobile man lift go thru a tank top while someone was trimming trees... too...

/ A little bit more technical advice please #34  
Tractordata says my Mahindra 4500 weighs between 4700 and 5700 and it found the grease trap week before last. I didn't realize it til I moved the tractor and then the next day saw where the back tire had been sitting. That lid is partially cratered now.

setting on it and driving over are 2 different things.

I wouldn't park my frod 5000 rear tire right over the middle of the lid and then walk away.

if it ran over it while mowing.. i wouldn't care too much

Ok, couple quick questions... Got the tractor delivered to the house and started going over everything. I have been trying to gather up the filter and oils I need and wanted to double check.... Use multi on the diff, hyd, tranny...? The diff and tranny are in the same case, so just top off through either cap and check the stick with arms in raised position...? Run the same multi in the tranny... in case the oil does make its way over the plate between the two cases. And top off to filler plug on the right side just above the floor board. After I checked it all over, I fired it up and brought it up to temp and noticed I need to replace the valve cover gasket. It is leaking at the rear of the valve cover when brought up to temp. Anything special or secrets to doing that repair...? I have seen a couple threads discussing these..., The remote valve I mentioned is a AICO and it leaks a little too from around the valves. Thanks.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #36  
specifically what tractor is this?

Sorry Soundguy, should have explained it better. like I mentioned... I bought a '63 Ford 4000 a couple weeks ago, I just went and picked it up finally just this Thursday and dragged it back home.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #38  
aico, tisco and many other valves fit.

if the leak is from under the plate.. it is a common oring kit. if from the spool shafts themselves.. you MIGHT be able to get orings by matching size up.... etc.

hmm.. oil leak at top valve cover... I'd check to make sure oil is getting down thru block.. and also check to make sure the lil oil pipe is in place for the valve train and not just blowing everywhere.

ps.. you can do that repair without pulling hood or tank.. :)

Yeah Soundguy, I think it is just the valve cover gasket.... I can see where the gasket is kinda wadded up a little bit. It only seems to seep a little bit from where the valve cover meets the head at end of the valve cover closest to the steering column. I'm thinking it is just a gasket. Please explain how you can do this without removing hood, tank, and heat shield.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #40  
explain? um.. take the retainer nuts off then lift the valve cover off rotating it a bit and roll it out.

it's tight quarters.. but WILL come out, unless your hands are like size 19 or something...