A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Yeah I see what are saying... Man that looks like it would be ultra tight. Another question... When changing the tranny, hyd, diff... What kind of multi oil do you suggest for all three? And to check after refilling... Fill tranny to the fill plug on the fight side of the case right above the floor board. And fill the diff and hyd to the correct level on the dip stick with lift arms in raised position... Correct?

/ A little bit more technical advice please #42  
utf oil meeting m2c134 spec ( most meets it ).. tsc has some for 32$ / 5g right now ).

trans, seperate sump filled to check plug right side as you said.

hyds is a seperate compartment. fill as per dipstick on left by pto shifter..

diffy is a seperate sump.. fill to check plug on left rear of trumpet housing.. big pipe plug..

/ A little bit more technical advice please #43  
ps.. lift arms make lil difference. hyd cyl holds? 8oz oil? out of 2g? I doubt you can see that on the stick.

if you have / had large SA external hyd sinstalled.. you would check with those extended. that sump has space to hold quite a bit more oil.. at least a gallon more..e tc.. so reasonable 'overfill' is a NON issue.

some of my fords with loaders with large SA luft cy;s sucked the sump dry just getting the boom up.. then I filled it to the bottom of the safe hatch on the stick.. and all was fine when relaxed.. oil didn't run out under the seat or anything.. :) :)

Thanks soundguy, I really appreciate it. I did get the FO-20 manual but these questions aren't covered that I saw anyways. I asked the same tranny, hyd, diff question at the dealership and the guy told me the hyd, diff is all the same case and was all one In the same... So thanks for the clarification. You are correct on the aux hyd valve... It is AICO and it is leaking from the spool valves where the levers are connected. I have no plans on using it right away, but just don't like the leaking. The way the valve is set up is with only one line coming out of it to a qd to the back. And I did not follow you completely when you explained the oil tube might not be connected under the valve cover...?

/ A little bit more technical advice please #45  
Thanks soundguy, I really appreciate it. I did get the FO-20 manual but these questions aren't covered that I saw anyways. I asked the same tranny, hyd, diff question at the dealership and the guy told me the hyd, diff is all the same case and was all one In the same... So thanks for the clarification. You are correct on the aux hyd valve... It is AICO and it is leaking from the spool valves where the levers are connected. I have no plans on using it right away, but just don't like the leaking. The way the valve is set up is with only one line coming out of it to a qd to the back. And I did not follow you completely when you explained the oil tube might not be connected under the valve cover...?

dealership guy is poorly informed. you'd think he might know his job better... reflects poorly ont he manager that trained him and the dealership in general.

the later series had a common hyds and rear.

the oil doesn't free flow up thru the head and lube the top end .. it goes thru a tube.

check yer exploded parts diagram for the head and valve train and I think you will understand.. otherwise when you pull the valve cover.. I KNOW you will understand...

edit... was gonna try to post a pic.. but having connection trouble I guess..

Last edited:
Yeah the parts guy... he is part owner in the family business..... Thanks for the proper info. I did read somewhere on a form... Some said multi in the tranny, hyd. And some kinda gear oil is better in the diff, but other say the seals between the cases aren't that great and they can mix...? What would be best?

/ A little bit more technical advice please #47  
if you don't know the quality of the seal between hyds and rear.. go utf in all 3.

if you know the seal is tight.. you can go gear oil in the diffy and utf in the hyds. trans can get utf or gear oil. your call. just don't put plain hyd oil in the hyds.. IF it did leak into the diffy it would dilute the lube qualities needed in the diffy.

some like to buy just 1 type of oil pail / bulk.. etc.. and go utf.. etc.

Thanks again soundguy, I will get it done and for sure have some more questions to come along.

Hey soundman, I have been plugging away on the 4000 trying to go over everything real good before I put it to work. Changed all the fluids, filter, plugs, ect... I had a little oil seeping from the rocker cover gasket (top) and the push rod cover (side) so replaced both of those. New horizonal oem type exhaust. Got a new gauge kit, still gotta get to that... But a couple quick questions. I was going over the 3 point lift and all its linkage and found a couple bad bolts I feel I should replace. The two square head bolts that hold the lower lift arms to the lift fork rod and the fork rod with the leveling box. I was wondering where I could find the bolts, or what to even call them. Thanks for any help.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #50  
check the exploded parts diagram.. they may be listed by parts # or mention procure locally if a common bolt/nut.. etc.