A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please #1  

MickeyC

Bronze Member
Tractor
*Ford* -'47 2N - '63 4000-
Hello to everyone here on TBN. First time posting, been reading for a while. I have done plenty of reading and research and was wondering if I could get some more info. I am in the market for a newer tractor. I have a 2N that I never really planned on working, but I have found myself putting it to work more and more. I would like something to better handle the work I have come upon. My main needs would be to pull a 5' rotary cutter, 6' finish mower, and occasionally some ground engauging implements. I have a total of about 12 acres to tend to. I have come up with with the following choices. Ford 2000-3000-3600, MF 135, 230, 235. I guess my requirements would be 2 stage clutch(live power) roughly 35-42 HP. Power steering would be nice too. I will not use the tractor everyday or for long periods of time. I do need to watch the total weight of the tractor so I can drive it over in-ground septic systems without damage. I have plenty seat time on new larger tractors just no personal experience or seat time with these models that would fit my needs. Any technical advice on any of these models would be great. What to watch for, any model with any known problems. What would suit my needs best, or even any models to suggest I may have over looked. I am close to most all major dealerships in my area for parts. Thank you for your time.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #2  
:welcome:

/ A little bit more technical advice please #3  
Hello to everyone here on TBN. First time posting, been reading for a while. I have done plenty of reading and research and was wondering if I could get some more info. I am in the market for a newer tractor. I have a 2N that I never really planned on working, but I have found myself putting it to work more and more. I would like something to better handle the work I have come upon. My main needs would be to pull a 5' rotary cutter, 6' finish mower, and occasionally some ground engauging implements. I have a total of about 12 acres to tend to. I have come up with with the following choices. Ford 2000-3000-3600, MF 135, 230, 235. I guess my requirements would be 2 stage clutch(live power) roughly 35-42 HP. Power steering would be nice too. I will not use the tractor everyday or for long periods of time. I do need to watch the total weight of the tractor so I can drive it over in-ground septic systems without damage. I have plenty seat time on new larger tractors just no personal experience or seat time with these models that would fit my needs. Any technical advice on any of these models would be great. What to watch for, any model with any known problems. What would suit my needs best, or even any models to suggest I may have over looked. I am close to most all major dealerships in my area for parts. Thank you for your time.

Any diesel tractor from that list would be a good choice, providing it checks out ok. Ken Sweet

/ A little bit more technical advice please #4  
3600 hands down..

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Thanks for the replies... Soundguy the 3600 is pretty even up on the MF235 on some specs. What gives it the "hands down" ? I see where you have suggested some of the powermaster tractors to other members, I do like the older fords as well. And you had also suggested gasser's over diesels for certain applications...?

/ A little bit more technical advice please #6  
pre 65, i like a gasser... post 65, i like a diesel.

from the ones you listed.. the 3600 imho was my favorite.. external hyd filter and all.

I like the 55-64 models myself, for what I colelct and do. no doubt the 00065+ are more feature rich and newer.

I don't mind buying a 900$ tractor.. coming home and tearing it down to a hollow chassis and putting it back together, and then have a tractor to work with.

the average user may not want that.. :)

I see, thanks for the info. the external hyd filter is the more technical stuff I like to hear about. You can only get so much from tractor data and other resources without any seat time. I figure I have this winter to find something to put to work for me this coming spring. So any info and knowledge is welcome. thanks.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #8  
as for the hyd filter.

once you've repalced one on a 3000 and then do one on a x600 with external.. the choice becomes clear.. :)

not to mention a x600 is a newer machine.

for a worker.. mid new is pretty good.. :)

that said.. i do 95% of the work on myfarm with pre 65 antique hp.. :) but I enjoy it too.. :)

Hey Mr. Soundguy. Thanks for the info. I am still looking/shopping I guess. A couple 3600's around me right now for sale in the 5k-6k range. And a powermaster 861. I know you said "mid new" for work, just like the simplicity of the older stuff I guess. I would keep using the 2n cause its easy to use, just a handful mowing tight spots and I would like some more power. I wonder its reliability even through she has never let me down other than what is to be expected repairs and maintance. Kinda at a mental snag in decision making right now.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #10  
an 861? oh I'd jump on that. the 55-64 are my favorites. lots of hp under an 861's hood. live clutch too... excelent engine