A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Hey soundman, well I got everything tighten up and gone over, and had a chance to run it today for a while. I scraped a couple driveways and I noticed after the tractor got warmed up and worked it a good bit it seems to cough a little bit with a couple back fire pops. I first noticed it under load and it seems to gallop a little bit back and forth, on and off the govenor. I did put a new screen and bowl gasket on the sediment bowl when I services everything. I am running fresh gas with ethenol treatment mixed in. I did check air gap on the points and set them to .025". I did notice when I checked air gap there was no gasket under the dust cap and the rotor has a good bit of play back and forth on the post. Cap seems to be ok. The way it was running I am thinking that it is a Timing issue...? Or something to do with the cap, rotor...? It ran fine before it got good and warm. And had not shown any signs of that the other half dozen times I have fired it up to check things out of to move it in and out of the garage or anything. Any thoughts...? Thanks.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #52  
4000 4 cyl right?

does the rotor hav ethe lil clip on the dizy shaft? the rotor should fit TIGHT tot he shaft.

if you lost the clip.. it's 6$ from NH for a clip that has less metal in it than a paperclip.

for the time being a piece of masking tape over the dizzy shaft with the rotor pushed down on it will accomplish the same thing.

that MAY be it as that will play with advance settings.

if that's not it.. see if a hair of choke helps.

Thanks soundguy... Correct 4cyl (63' 4000) I did fire her up again today and same thing. Now it doesn't even want to respond to throttling up, It takes a couple seconds to catch up. But when it does it runs just find till it starts to pull on the govenor... I will try the masking tape trick. I did try a touch of choke, and no help... Just get too rich and wants to choke out. I know I need to get a new rotor, cap and maybe some new points. But I wondered if I shouldn't worry about the points and just get an electric ignition...? Any thoughts on the electric ignition? And a couple questions that should be self explanatory, but i just don't know. I have a 12v system I believe, I have a 12v battery and neg is ground, but I believe I have a generator...? How efficient is that compared to an alternator? And the air cleaner... I mean I have changed the steel wool elements in the 2n before, but this air cleaner on this 4000... the bottom retainer doesn't seem to come out so I can replace them. It looks like the bottom (retainer disc) is tack welded to the center through tube of the air cleaner housing...? Thanks for any help in advance soundguy, Much appreciated.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #54  
Electronic ignition is somewhere around $135. A tune up kit with points, condenser and 4 spark plugs can be had for less than $20. That's why I stay with points.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #55  
If YOU WANTED TO GO TO THE CONSIDERABLE EXPENSE OF ei.. i'D RECCOMEND GETTING THE POINTS SYSTEM WORKING 100% first!!

that said.

if the rotor is LOOSE on the dizzy shaft. fix that beofre anything else.

genny are not as efficient as alts.. but they work. I have a 12v genny on some of my units. battery stays up.. I just don't idle around all day.

you can't troubleshoot furthere till you get the rotor stuck in place.

10-4 soundguy I will get on it. You are right I have idled a good bit while trying to get everything said and done, and the battery needed a jump yesterday. Not much experience with the gen. The 2N had a alt on it when I got of and never had a problem. Is there something I am missing on the air cleaner as mentioned above? Thanks soundguy.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #57  
on gennies.. idleing doesn't produce a usefull charge level.. must be idled up. on an alt.. heck.. 400 rpm turns thm on and they are probably charging near as good as a genny near full tilt.

I like the look of a genny.. I also like the fact they are robust. you hook them up wrong and they don't fry in 400 nano seconds like an alt will.

that said.

are you SURE you have a 12v genny.. or did some idiot just leave the oem 6v genny on there , hooked up and toss in a 12v battery.. seen that..

I am not sure on the gen.... 6v or 12v? I have yet to get my meter on anything yet. You are right, could be wrong battery. I will try to get to the masking tape trick and do a couple quick meter readings after diner tonight. Thanks soundguy. I will let you know...

/ A little bit more technical advice please #59  
the stock 12v gennies had cooling vents at the rear.. that may have covers over them. though a 6v gen with no vents could be rebuilt as 12 by gut swapping.. :)

Ok, Mr soundguy... The masking tape on the distributor shaft worked. Although I did notice a couple things after I did it. 1. I must have changed something with the combustion cause it with blow a little smoke while throttling up quickly. Never got that outta it before doing the same. 2. It still seemed to bounce off the govenor at the top half of the throttle. But seemed to even out as I ran it longer. I think I need to go through the manual and do the check on the govenor/throttle linkage adjustment check. I did have to replace a missing compensating spring under the battery box and tighten the spider spring on top of the bell housing to keep from the throttle from running back down by itself...? I did do a little metering... Here is what I got... 12.03v battery terminals engine off. 12.00v coil engine off ign switch on. 11.54v battery terminals engine running. 8.9v outside small post of gen engine running. 9.0v big post of gen engine running. The generator has no vents or covers or anything....? It doesn't seem to be producing enough recharge the battery. I pulled the battery and put it on my trickle charger, but I gotta figure out something to give it a better charge. Thanks for any help you can send my way.