A little bit more technical advice please

/ A little bit more technical advice please #81  
it's one thing when you ( your family that's using the tractor ) does it.

it's another when you sell it to someone jiggered up like that.. and then leave them in the dark about it.

On that point you are absolutley correct. My son just doesn't understand how I always go over anything I am going to sell and replace worn items or atleast have an idea to tell someone what is needed. And I do that just because!

/ A little bit more technical advice please
Thanks sounguy, yeah that's what I figured, after you mentioned the battery swap possibility. It just doesn't seem to add up, I mean I am no electrical engineer, but I can read schematic, and work a meter. I appreciate the help. Don't get me wrong, I am not biased to a 6v or 12v it doesn't matter to me either way. Just as long as what I have is going to be reliable and put enough charge to the battery so the next time I go to start it, it will start. That's really my only gripe. I just like to do stuff right.... On that note, I got standard ignition, points, condenser, cap, and rotor all on order today from napa and gotta go pick them up later this afternoon. And I guess I will look into what it takes to make the whole tractor 12v. I plan on mowing with this tractor, not showing it or anything, so I guess that would be the way to go unless I am missing something...? Thanks.

/ A little bit more technical advice please #83  
i'd see if the 6v gear works. if it does.. all you need is a 6v battery..

I would assume it does. Everything seems to work properly when the tractor is running, except the lights(bad light switch) other than that....? Would I just have to switch the battery cables so positive is ground?

/ A little bit more technical advice please #85  
assume? haha.. you're funny. :)

have you tested it?

you can motor test a genny using a battery.

you can somewhat test a vreg using 2 batteries and a battery charger and an ohm meter.

most gennies and vregs run positiove or negative ground.

Hey soundguy, its been awhile.... But I need a little more help. I have what seems to be the notorious throttle surge. I have read and read other forms and threads and still haven't came up with anything to fix it. Here's what I got so far... Rebuilt the carb, -1/4" bowl to carb body measurement-new main needle and all baskets-1 1/8 turns out on main1 turn out on idle screw for initial settings-took carb to just8n's to have double checked-good flow through and out of the drain plug. Re-wired and converted to 12v. Followed step by step proper adjustment of governor linkage as per the I&T. Cleaned air filter housing out and put new filter elements in. Tightened the crankshaft pulley nut as per I&T for pierce type governor. After all that I run the tractor nice and warm and tried all adjustment on the main from 1 1/8-to all the way out and no difference. I am scratching my head here a little bit. Thanks

/ A little bit more technical advice please #87  
so it's hunting on ya?

when it does, pull choke a bit.. see what it does.

does it only hunt at load, or high idle?

or does it smooth out at load and only hunt at idle?

Yeah soundguy, she hunts pretty bad. Runs fine, load or no-load from idle to half throttle. But as soon as I go past half throttle it starts hunting. I can get the top half of the throttle to smooth out by adjusting the main when tractor is just sitting there stationary. But as soon as I put it in gear and especially when turning the pto, it will hunt. And I have tried 1/8 turn increments back and forth all the way till the needle comes out, with no luck. I did try the choke trick, no luck it just chokes it out. ???

/ A little bit more technical advice please #89  
did you use full choke or just a lil tug.

at high load, hunting is usually fuel starvation.

Just a lil' choke. Starving for fuel seems right on the money, just honestly can't figure out why? Seems to have good flow, floats set properly, good and clean....