Default Overwhelmed

I need a tractor for five acres of flat, treeless ground. I need a PHD, tiller, bush hog, box blade, FEL, possibly BH and tandem disk. I would like to use a 5' bush hog, but don't want a tractor so big that I can't manuever it around trees and landscaping later on. I live in the middle of cotton country, and can get JD, NH, orange (kubota and Kioti), Case, Massey, Farm Pro (2 hr. drive), and greys (Iseki, Satoh, Yanmar, Mitsubishi) from www.compactdieseltractor.com (45 min. drive). I looked seriously at used JD 4100 and Kubota 7500 (see earlier post), but now am thinking they may be too small, since I need to prepare and seed entire lot (only weeds now). Help!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Default Re: Overwhelmed

I'm sure you will get similiar advice from others, but I recommend getting the right size tractor for the continuous uses you will have after the property is developed. I would'nt want to be stuck with a larger tractor than I really wanted just to get the initial land clearing done. A good contractor could prepare your whole lot and seed it in a matter of days. I Know, its fun to do it yourself, but the pros have the right size equipment for this type of task. I suggest buying the right size tractor for your mowing and general maintenance as well as the occasional project.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Suggest you take a look at Mahindra. I know there are a couple of dealers down your way, and right now you can get a 3 year warranty, 0% financing for 3 years (I think its still on), and a tractor that is overbuilt. I have one of their biggest units (6000 4WD) and am amazed......Good luck in your search. PS, try and buy a new tractor and used implements. BobG in VA

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Good advice.

Tractor
    Iseki TU1700f

Like Jerry said, buy a tractor sized for your finished landscaping. If you get a large tractor now, you will be disappointed later when you can't maneuver it around trees and things.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Given your choices, you might run down to farm pro... Those chineese tractors will be new, and with a warranty.. and will be about half the cost of the big 3.
    Lots of choices either way. Bottom line is no matter what color you decide on, be comfterable with it as a machine, and its condition, if it isn't new.

The money you save on a slightly less expensive tractor will pay for your land renovation... On the other hand.. if you invest that money in the tractor and get a better/bigger ( not always the same ) unit.. then it will serve you more later.
    Also realize, that most jobs that are done with a larger tractor, can be done with a smaller one.. it just takes more time. If you want a tractor that uses 60" implimints.. get that size...

Soundguy

Elite Member

Since you already mentioned "bush hog", I assume "BH" is backhoe. Unless you have a lot of on-going digging to do, I would forego that one. That's $5-$8G that will buy a whole lot of tractor and more usefull implements. I think most homeowners have a little digging to do initially, (hire it out), then wonder why they invested all that money in a backhoe.
    (Of course if you and your partners are extremely wealthy, forget this whole post.)

Tractor
    Kubota B2910

I would suggest the B27/2910. That would give you enough power to pull the 5' Rotary Cutter and do your other things without ever being to big. I would give kubota a good look.