Buying Advice Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions??

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #1  

southerncat650

Tractor
none
I had a 48 ford 8n sold it last week im bush hogging some thick stuff small thorn bushes and small saplings rest of the stuff im planning on useing a loader to push over. I was looking at the Kubota MX5100 or the New Holland workmaster 55 i think thats the only 55hp they have now i called 2 dealers and one told me about the workmaster and the other said he had a 55hp in stock he never told me the model but with me clearing land and bush hogging everything im bad about cutting saplings up to like 2" the ford 8n i had did it but then again i figured if it could get pushed over easy it could get cut up and it worked. but im not gonna do that anymore what ever tractor i decide to get will be 4x4 and have a loader,heavy duty cutter , and box blade all 6'(72")..

Thanks
David

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #2  
You have lots of options and I would not worry about 2" saplings unless it is Osage orange. The loader will really help. I like the work master and the mx series looks good. I would sit on as many flavors as you can that are comparable just to get a feel. Every brand has things that are different. Best of luck shopping.
Jody

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #3  
With my old 45HP Yanmar with FEL, I have bent over and cut off with a bush hog saplings that were 4" or more in diameter. With them bent over, they cut very easy, just have to ease into them so they splinter off. May have to raise the hog up a bit to pull on over them. I would hog them up good then use the FEL with tooth bar to gather up the log pieces that were left. Now I have a much larger tractor that can uproot pretty large trees and if that dont work, I get my backhoe and dig them out. I cleared out a thicket of sweetgum trees of 2"to 6" diameter in short time using the B26 Kubota. Just uprooted them, used the thumb on the backhoe to stack them to the side and just keep digging into the thicket. Later, gathered them all up with the FEL to a burn pile.
You might consider a smaller tractor with a backhoe on it or even getting one on the 55 HP if you have lots of clearing to do, ditching, rock digging etc. It sure makes it neater than bush hogging over which leaves all the stubble behind which sprouted back again in my case. Now everything is nice, clean and no stubble left to trip over.
With a new 55 HP tractor with FEL, I cant see you having any trouble doing the same thing
Good luck in your hunt for the perfect tractor.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #4  
Yep. Sit on every model, take for a spin around the yard. Get the feel of the machine. Make sure you are going to be comfortable. I bought Kubota because size and weight mattered, but sure was impressed with the LS line of tractors. Well built. Lots of options on other makes come standard on the LS.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #5  
Just a thought? Have you considered welding 3/4 inch expanded metal covering the grill guard in front and under the bottom. When pushing over the saplings with the FEL, this will offer more protection in regards to your radiator. BTW, in selecting the make and model that best suits your needs, it would be wise to consider the dealer also. Does the dealer offer excellent service, parts availability, and most of all, do he actually have your best interest at heart. Best wishes.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #6  
Either one of those tractors will be a major improvement over the 8n. You may want to look at the John Deere 5045 too.

Here is a chart for comparison. It show the MX4700 not the 5100.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions??
Yea the jd dealer here haven't had much good out of them and kubota is just a few miles away and had good service and the kubota has the better deal than the NH does and I couldn't get jd salesman to answer the phone and it seems alittle light with the aluminum rear axle. Most of what I'm clearing is just thicket a loader to push it or push it down for the hog to chew it up the big trees 12" and bigger I may leave standing..I'm thinking about getting the kubota has anyone had any problems with the mx5100 gear drive.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #8  
I don't think I have seen anyone on here with a problem out of a MX5100.

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions??
What are some other good models and brands from 40-75hp 4x4 new or used..

/ Looking to buy a new tractor.. Opinions?? #10  
4000 series Deere.
Grand L Kubota