newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT?

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #1  

WV_Dave

Hi,

Been lurking for a while and doing research on a utility tractor purchase. I am complete tractor newbie but I do my homework so this will be the first of many newbie question posts.

We have ~600 steep acres in central West Virginia with maybe ~200 acres in open fields and the rest wooded with < 5 miles of dirt roads. The primary use for this tractor is bush hog mowing with secondary requirements of road maintenance and misc. earth moving tasks.

The land had largely been neglected for the past 3 years and the autumn olive and multiflora rose had pretty much completely overtaken much of the open fields. We were fortunate enough recently to have a local relative bush hog most of the open areas at a steeply discounted rate on a borrowed tractor but even this involved 200 hours of labor. It is unlikely we will be this lucky in the future so we are going to need our own equipment.

We have the benefit of some advice on tractors from another relative who runs some cattle on this land but is not inclined to let us borrow his tractor. His advice is that a 50hp tractor should be considered the minimum. He has a Ford 3930 4wd which I believe he said was 47 hp but I'm not sure if that is engine or PTO hp. He claims that this tractor is just barely adequate for bush hog mowing this property and says he often wishes he had at least another 10hp. He also said that the gas companies that work the roads in the county won't use anything less than 60hp tractors. He has also specifically warned against getting too large a tractor for this property so we are looking for something that is about the same physical size as a 3930 but that is more capable.

As I will only be a part owner of this tractor my choices have been, for political reasons, restricted to either John Deere or Ford/New Holland. From my initial market survey it seems that something like a NH TN65 or JD 5220 would be the bare minimum for this kind of job with perhaps a NH TN70/75 or JD 5320 or 5420 being more suitable. Am I on the right track here?

Also, new tractor specs are easy to find but I've found it a bit harder to find out which older models are in the same kind of range. As I am just starting research and our budget has not yet been agreed upon by all parties I want to discover a range of options that include suitable older tractors that preceded the TN and 5020 series. Can anyone recommend some older NH and JD models (no more than 10 years old) that would be worth considering?

Thanks

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #2  
I would take a look at the John Deere 5205 Utility. Has 48HP at the PTO and will run around 16K w/2wd and about 19K with MFWD. If you need more HP and have considerably more to spend, step up to a 55HP @PTO 5320 but it will cost 20K for 2wd and 24K for MFWD. Where I live all the road crews and highway crews use the 5420 which pumps out 65 hp @ the PTO and has a huge 4.5 liter engine. Lots of $$ for that big boy but it is one very nice machine.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #3  
I have a 3930 ford/ new holland and it has 47 pto horsepower if this helps.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #4  
Welcome to the forum: u have some serious acreage and uses for your tractor. if u are inclined to go only n/h or jd i would suggest you lookat nothing smaller than n/h tn65 or comprable jd. with that much acerage u are not going to be cutting every month, so u want something big enough to handel it when and if it gets out of hand(and it will) i also strongly suggest u get 4wd. whatever your reasons for only looking at N/H AND JD u might want to at least check out some others. i.e kioti, kubota, etc. don't know what u mean by "political reasons". u need a serious machine. MHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT?
Thanks..by political reasons I mean that in this situation there are two other parties that will be sharing the cost. Both of them are very much "buy American" types, which is admirable but telling them that none of these tractors are actually very American has no discernable impact. I would like to consider Kubota in the running but as the name sounds Japanese and John Deere does not that is about as far as the argument will get. The finer points of which components are made where is meaningless to them.

In that area Ford/New Holland seems to overwhelmingly be the brand of choice just because they have been traditionally less expensive that JD.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #6  
Geeze,
we had a 130 acre farm across the river from Huntington W.VA for a year.. Mountainous as a word, doesn't even cover it. I notice on the W.Va side, most men have a 2 1/2 ft long leg and the other normal.:) So they can climb up and over all those mountains.. Too many copperhead snakes there, to suit me.. On the north side of the river, it was Massey Ferguson, or nothing..

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #7  
With the size of your land that needs to be mowed, I would consider getting a 15' flexwing mower (Rhino SR15). This mower requires a minimum PTO HP of 50. It is far better to have "more" than the minimum, so I would look at 65+ HP tractors.

A Kubota M8200 would be perfect for you -- so check out the specs on that and compare them to the JD and NH for a matching tractor, seeing that your vote doesn't seem to count in your partnership. My Kubota M8950 has 7900 hours on it and still runs great. By the way, my local Kubota dealership employs all AMERICANS, so although Kubota is not an American Tractor Company, they sure keep many Americans in this country working. (Just my 2 cents)

Good luck in your search

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #8  
Well myself I'd look at Valtra or Mahindra first in that size of tractor. Then Massey Ferguson,CIH,NH,Zetor,Landini.........If the Deere 5620 was available here it would be a perfect tractor for your needs.

But since you are handcuffed it sounds like...A Ford 4610/4630/4830/5030 is what you are looking for.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #9  
The bigger 5000 series JD are mostly american made. It's the smaller stuff that is made overseas. Also take a look at the 6403. It's a serious ag tractor that would be perfect for what you are looking to do. Doesn't have all the frills of the 6?15 or 6?20 but for what you want it would be a great, reliable, and safe tractor for those hills.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #10  
I agree with your recommendations - especially the Mahindra 5/6000's and add the Kioti DK65.

"US made" is gonna have to be some Massey/AGCO, some NH, some Deere or older used iron.