Buying Advice Massey Ferguson 135

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #21  
New to the page. Not sure where to askthis question. MF 135 gas power. today stuck in gear. Played with it a little now I have 1st and reverse. shifter will not move sideways to engage 2nd or 3rd. have hear it could be shifter spring? Not sure. Is this something I can fix on my own or do I need to send it out for repair?

Thanks in advance

The following information should be helpful.

If straightline 2-3 shift is OK but straightline 1st-reverse is hard trouble is with detent plunger/spring assembly that is held down by steering box assembly. If detent plunger is rusty it will not slide up and down in trans rail bore as it should causing hard rail movement, not a common problem. Most have trouble when shifting too fast on 1st-2nd shift, lever goes to 2-3 rail but 1st-reverse overshoots neutral detent and goes into reverse, is corrected with HI-LO placed in start position to relieve driveline tension, then using a bar through trans oil fill to place1st-reverse back to neutral so crossover is restored. Sounds like you may need to remove steering box that holds down all 3 rail detents and springs to free up or replace 1st-reverse detent assy.

You may find the following images helpful while using the instructions provided above. They are from a Massey 135 tractor, but the transmission is nearly identical to your Massey 35 tractor.

212zka0.jpg

3535zdf.jpg

Quotes from:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/247984-mf-35-sticks-gear.html

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #22  
There you go, Good job Massey!

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #23  
ok got to that point. removed fill plug got everything lined up like it should be, and I see a spring hanging there loosely on top of the (forks) ? how do i get that fixed?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #24  
ok got to that point. removed fill plug got everything lined up like it should be, and I see a spring hanging there loosely on top of the (forks) ? how do i get that fixed?

There shouldn't be any springs in that area. Are you sure what you're seeing isn't the tie wire used to prevent the locking bolts from loosening?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #25  
from what i can see it is a spring. looks to be the one that on the shifter lever itself, and it has fallen down onto the forks. Looked at a parts page , and it shows a spring seat should hold that up in place. can i pull the whole shifter out and replace that spring seat? How do i pull the shifter up?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #26  
from what i can see it is a spring. looks to be the one that on the shifter lever itself, and it has fallen down onto the forks. Looked at a parts page , and it shows a spring seat should hold that up in place. can i pull the whole shifter out and replace that spring seat? How do i pull the shifter up?

If it's the shift lever spring, I'm afraid it won't be that simple. You'll have to remove the steering box to replace it. You'll also have to try to locate the spring retainer in the bottom of the transmission sump.

Is your shift lever loose, or can you pull up on it and feel slack?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #27  
Great... Yes there is some slack when I pull up on the shift lever. Almost 1/2 inch. I really dont have all the tools for a big chore like this.. Looks like its headed to the shop.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #28  
you guys are awesome! thanks so much for quick replies even when I did not post in the right area.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #29  
you guys are awesome! thanks so much for quick replies even when I did not post in the right area.

You're welcome and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but after having been up close and personal with removing my own Massey 135 tractor's steering box, I can see no other options for repair. :)

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #30  
You're welcome and I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but after having been up close and personal with removing my own Massey 135 tractor's steering box, I can see no other options for repair. :)

Good Job!