Buying Advice Massey Ferguson 135

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #1  

pbman

Tractor
Case 530
I am looking at a Massey Ferguson 135.
Are they good tractors? Anything bad about them? Any other recommendations?
I only have about $4000.00 to spend.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #2  
Very good tractors.

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 135 #3  
Nice tractor, I have one with a perkins diesel. What I would consider the first generation of modern tractors. If it has a loader check the front end and steering carefully, if they have a weak point it is the front end and steering components, they were really designed for a loader. They could handle manure and farm chores pretty well but gravel and dirt work is hard on them. PTO equipment is what they were designed for. Mine has the rear remote capability, if you need it and its not there you are looking at $400 to $500, and as with all tractors rear tires are not cheap, if they are good thats worth a lot.

/ Massey Ferguson 135
Nice tractor, I have one with a perkins diesel. What I would consider the first generation of modern tractors. If it has a loader check the front end and steering carefully, if they have a weak point it is the front end and steering components, they were really designed for a loader. They could handle manure and farm chores pretty well but gravel and dirt work is hard on them. PTO equipment is what they were designed for. Mine has the rear remote capability, if you need it and its not there you are looking at $400 to $500, and as with all tractors rear tires are not cheap, if they are good thats worth a lot.

Thank you very much fro your response. It is useful and much appreciated information.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #5  
I am looking at a Massey Ferguson 135.
Are they good tractors? Anything bad about them? Any other recommendations?
I only have about $4000.00 to spend.

135s are highly regarded classic tractors. I paid $3600 for my 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe with Multipower in July06.

The steering is generally stiff. My 135 has a power steeering pump that runs a dinky hydraulic assist gizmo on the steering column, so it's not true power steering (i.e. with a hydraulic cylinder on the front axle assembly).

There are two 135 models--Deluxe with 5 gauges on the dashboard and the Special with 2 gauges.

Multipower is an option that changes the 6F/2R tranny to 12F/4R using an internal hydraulic clutch in the tranny. There's a two-position up-down lever located on the right lower dashboard to select MP HIGH/LOW. Old 135s with MP can have problems with the MP hydraulics in which case you'll only have MP LOW.

The 135 comes with three engine selections--2 gas and a diesel. The diesel is a 3-cylinder Perkins engine that's highly regarded for its reliablity.

The clutch pedal is at an odd angle that some folks feel is uncomfortable.

Good luck.

/ Massey Ferguson 135
Thank you for your response. It is great information and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #7  
Thank you for your response. It is great information and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
If looking at the tractor. If the muffler is on the right side. It's a Continental 4 cyl gas version. If the muffler is on the left side it could be either a Perkins 3 cyl gas or diesel. That's is how to tell what kind of engine is in them at a distance. The 3 cyl diesel Perkins is considered the gold standard on MF135's and are usually a bit more than 4 grand if they are in good condition. The money you have would buy you a really nice Continental gas 4 cyl in really good shape. I have a 1965 Continental I've been sprucing up. Do all the reading you can absorb about the 135's. The more you know about them the smarter buyer you are and you'll find yourself a sweet 135. Be patient and be picky. Google is your friend as for finding info about the infamous 135. 135's are being used as we speak all over the globe. England and India has a huge presence. They are like a Timex watch. They just do what they do. and do it well. Parts are not hard to find. If you have a car hauler it would broaden your search and increase your chances of finding a sweet 135. Good luck with your quest. -robert

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #8  
135s are highly regarded classic tractors. I paid $3600 for my 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe with Multipower in July06.

The steering is generally stiff. My 135 has a power steeering pump that runs a dinky hydraulic assist gizmo on the steering column, so it's not true power steering (i.e. with a hydraulic cylinder on the front axle assembly).

There are two 135 models--Deluxe with 5 gauges on the dashboard and the Special with 2 gauges.

Multipower is an option that changes the 6F/2R tranny to 12F/4R using an internal hydraulic clutch in the tranny. There's a two-position up-down lever located on the right lower dashboard to select MP HIGH/LOW. Old 135s with MP can have problems with the MP hydraulics in which case you'll only have MP LOW.

The 135 comes with three engine selections--2 gas and a diesel. The diesel is a 3-cylinder Perkins engine that's highly regarded for its reliablity.

The clutch pedal is at an odd angle that some folks feel is uncomfortable.

Good luck.

Mine is an 8 speed perkins diesel, paid $3000 last year, good working tractor, not perfect but field ready. New rear tires and rear remote hydraulics. I felt I got a real good deal, worth $4500 in my opinion. I have the power steering with the cylinder on the front axle, still stiff and still not made for a loader. I use mine for baleing hay with a small square baler and chopping grass with a flail chopper, thats where it shines, I added a rops and canopy for shade more than anything and its a comfortable and very fuel efficient.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #9  
Mine is an 8 speed perkins diesel, paid $3000 last year, good working tractor, not perfect but field ready. New rear tires and rear remote hydraulics. I felt I got a real good deal, worth $4500 in my opinion. I have the power steering with the cylinder on the front axle, still stiff and still not made for a loader. I use mine for baleing hay with a small square baler and chopping grass with a flail chopper, thats where it shines, I added a rops and canopy for shade more than anything and its a comfortable and very fuel efficient.

What year is yours?