Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4120, 400x loader, bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, grapple

Default Re: Extend or not to extend:Warranty

9 times out of 10 I would say they are a sucker bet, but 5 dealer problems in 220 hours odds may be in your favor on this one.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Every write up I have ever read says that extended warranties are not worth the price and it is a sucker bet to buy them. However if you have had major problems with that few hours, it might not be a bad idea if the coverage is worthwhile. Check the fine print very good before forking over the money.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by bironacad View Post
    I got a letter that says I can extend my bumper to bumper warranty for three more years for $1407 , what is the consensus here?
    Is the letter from CNH/New Holland? I get letters/mailers/etc. about extending auto warranties that are from third-party outfits. There is an added risk to third-party warranties that would cause me to avoid them in most cases. The manufacturer warranty extensions can be so expensive, it's like the first major repair is on you anyways.

Any idea what it would typically cost for a transmission rebuild or replacement?
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    MF 5435, MF 165

Well, hearing it's in the shop for a transmission problem, I change my mind. You should buy it. With no deductable that doesn't sound too bad.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1500

I'm with the others....If I'd had 5 shop visits in 220 hours I would definitely consider an extended warranty. While I am sure the consumer magazines are right about not buying extended warranties, my personal experience has been much more positive. Maybe it's because I don't blindly extend warranties on everything. I've extended the warranties on 2 out of my 3 cars. Both warranties have more than paid for themselves. I took into account the brand, reliability history, etc. before choosing to buy the warranties. Thinking back, the only warranty I never used was a 7 year warranty I bought with my travel trailer.....that was a lesson learned. Trailers are pretty simple, and most bugs get worked out within a year. Oh well, I'm still WAY ahead on warranties.

Tractor
    New Holland 3045/2010

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Is the letter from CNH/New Holland? I get letters/mailers/etc. about extending auto warranties that are from third-party outfits. There is an added risk to third-party warranties that would cause me to avoid them in most cases. The manufacturer warranty extensions can be so expensive, it's like the first major repair is on you anyways.

Any idea what it would typically cost for a transmission rebuild or replacement?
    It is a New Holland warranty I have attached the pdf for viewing.PPP Quote .pdf
    “If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average.”
    M. H. Alderson

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

I'm not really a warranty guy, (my newest rig is a 1994 toyota pu), but my dad always argued for the warranty on the SECOND 100,000 miles rather than the first, he hasn't won that debate yet though. Sounds like in your case with a history of issues it might be worth the gamble.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

If you plan to keep it, I would go for it. 1400.00 for 5 years is pretty good.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    If you plan to keep it, I would go for it. 1400.00 for 5 years is pretty good.
    It is actually $1400 for 3 years--he already has a 2 year warranty.

It is still worth it because of the numerous times this one has been back to the dealer for work.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen1069 View Post
    I'm with the others....If I'd had 5 shop visits in 220 hours I would definitely consider an extended warranty.
    If I'd had 5 shop visits in 220 hours I'd be looking for a different tractor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast