Buying Advice 2005 New Holland TC45D

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D #1  

ENF2

Tractor
Ford 3000
A local tractor store has a 2005 4x4 New Holland TC45D tractor (4K hours) that includes a front-end loader that has a quick-release for bucket swap out. The front tires are new, but the rear tires need replacing. The tractor has a clean, intact exterior and no leaks. Everything seems to work and is responsive. All oil/air/fuel filters were changed and fittings greased. They are asking $14K. Seems a bit high, but wasn't sure of the "blue-book" value or a fair counter-offer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D #2  
You may want to review posts by member jinman. You can get lots of info reguarding changes/ improvements introduced in that model. I don't think there is much that he doesn't know about TC45D's.
About 1 year ago I looked at a TC40A. At the time I believe it was less than a year old, w/ 75 hrs. The NH dealer wanted 16k. It was not a "D" deluxe model, and had a gear trans., so it's a little apple and oranges. I believe this info is correct. You could also compare prices on Tractorhouse.com. I hope this was of some help.

Bill

Last edited:
   / 2005 New Holland TC45D #5  
A local tractor store has a 2005 4x4 New Holland TC45D tractor (4K hours) that includes a front-end loader that has a quick-release for bucket swap out. The front tires are new, but the rear tires need replacing. The tractor has a clean, intact exterior and no leaks. Everything seems to work and is responsive. All oil/air/fuel filters were changed and fittings greased. They are asking $14K. Seems a bit high, but wasn't sure of the "blue-book" value or a fair counter-offer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

There is no such thing as a 2005 model TC45D. The model designation changed to TC45DA in October of 2003 with the model making it to dealer's showrooms late that year or early in 2004. If the tractor has no air vent on the hood and pointed headlights, it could be a 2005 model. However, if it has a top-vented hood toward the front and square edged wrap-around lights, you need to investigate further the year. On the left side of the tractor's operator platform near the brake pedals, you'll see a plaque with the tractor serial number and unit number. The unit number is very important because it tells the year the tractor was built.

Here's an example:
Unit No. 3H28D

3 = Year = 2003
H = August (8th letter of the alphabet)
28 = 28th day of the month
D = Assembled on the Day shift

Having said all of that, the $14k is an okay price if everything is in great shape. You want to pop the hood and look closely under and behind the battery. The HST cooler sits above the radiator and it's hoses run just behind the battery. Early "D" model tractors before the "DA" models had leaky battery problems and many were damaged in the radiator/HST cooler area. If you see damage, you may want to negotiate for a lower price or replacement of battery acid damaged parts.

Another expensive thing to check is the PTO clutch/brake. The PTO on this tractor works from a lever (yellow color) on the left side operator's console. The PTO clutch is engaged with hydraulic pressure on clutch plates. If I were you, I'd negotiate with the dealer specifically to have the PTO clutch/brake warrantied for at least 90 days. You want to get that tractor home and attached to a rotary cutter (brush hog) mower and make sure the PTO clutch and brake work. You check the clutch by lowering the engine rpm to 1000, slowly move the yellow lever forward until the PTO starts to turn and comes up to speed. Next, increase engine speed and us the cutter while making sure the clutch does not slip. After using the cutter for awhile, lower the engine rpm back to 1000 and then disengage the PTO lever. The rotary cutter should slow and come to a complete stop within 5 seconds. That's the action of the PTO brake. If the rotary cutter keeps turning, it means the brake is worn. Also, sometimes the PTO will slowly turn anytime the engine is running. That's also a sign of a failing brake.

Other than the battery area and PTO, most other things will be easily checked by operating the tractor until it is fully warmed up. If the temperature gage never goes up to the green area from cold, you could have a faulty thermostat or faulty gage. Many of us have had to replace that gage or fix faulty thermostats. Also, when you turn the key from Off to On, you should see the glow plug lamp on the left side of the inst pnl come on and stay on for about 5-7 seconds and go off. This is an automatic preheat cycle. If the light does not come on or the light stays on, then you need a glow plug timer replaced. Lot's of little things like this are not big problems, but can be issues if you get the tractor home and then find out.

As always, you want to negotiate for the best deal. Once you find the actual year of the tractor, you may want to use that info to negotiate for a much better price. For example, if the Unit # starts with a 3 or 2 instead of a 5, then that's a 2003 or 2002 tractor and you might want to offer $2k less for starters. However, if you see the model designation is really TC45DA or the Unit # starts with a 5 as advertised, $14k is acceptable, but $13.5k would certainly be better. My TC45DA was manufactured in 2000 and sold to me in 2001 with a 16LA loader and one rear hydraulic remote for $21,900 brand new. Of course, I had a 2 yr warranty on the tractor and 3 yr warranty on the engine. Even today, I have less than 1800 hours on my tractor, so that one you are looking at has seen some work. If it's taken care of, you should have thousands more hours of great service.

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D
Jim-
Thank you for the valuable information. Many thing to think about and review with the dealership. Since my post I did find out from the sales mgr that the tractor was used for by a landscaping company. The tractor was purchased from them and according the the records, had regular maintenance. What has amazed me a bit is that the under body looks new. The paint on the under body and rear end is spotless. A piece of equipment with this many hours should show more signs of normal paint wear. Not to get lost on that issue, like you mentioned, the wear on the PTO and drive components need more investigation.
The engine glow-plug does work as you described and the engine starts, runs smooth and does not smoke. As for the age? It does have a screen vent on the hood, with wrap-around lights. So maybe they are playing with the year some...
In checking the PTO- It didn't turn while in the "off" position and did engage smoothly and "ran-true" with no leaks observed around the seals. (There was a back-hoe attachment on it previously that ran off the pto).
I appreciate all you have provided me and will re-visit the actual year and other areas you discussed. May I bend your ear again if something pops-up? Thanks, Gerard

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D
Jim-
I made the inquiry to the dealer and you are correct. They made an error and the tractor is a 2003 model. Needless to say, the price has been reduced. I plan to check the other items this week as you suggested. Thank you!

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D #8  
Outstanding bit of work on that year/unit number. The tractor sounds like a very good buy even considering the hours. Since the tractor powered a backhoe with the PTO, I'd suggest that the clutch/brake never has had the rough duty of running a rotary cutter. That's great news! Feel free to ask me questions when you want. I think I more likely would see your posts in the New Holland Owning/Operating forum than here, or you can send me a private message (PM). I'll try to answer all your questions as best as I can.

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D #9  
Another thing you may want to add to Jim's list of things to check, is the cruise control. Not a big deal, but the electromagnet costs around $100. I understand quite a few were DOA from the factory. I think mine was, on my 02.

Best of luck, Bill

/ 2005 New Holland TC45D
Bill, that is a another good point. I wasn't able to make the cruise work during my test drive and they were going to repair it. I was told the switch needed to be replaced. Thank you for the added advice!