What tractor do I need?

/ What tractor do I need? #21  
I farmed with my Dad for the first 24 years of my life and all we had were 2 wd tractors and no FEL. Had boom pole for lifting and rear blade for digging ditches and never knew what the FEL benefits were and no one had 4 WD tractors back then. I dont even know if they made them in the 1950-1970's. Scroll forward to present day in the same farm area and almost every tractor in the field is 4 WD. Heck the best thing they ever did was make a 4wd lawnmower. With 4Wd you gain at least 60% more pulling power as the front pulls more than the rears.
With 4Wd you can downsize the tractor and still do the same amount of work in most cases. Actually a 4Wd tractor with FEL is better than 2 WD in comparing the front axles. 2WD axles are pretty weak in comparison to the 4WD so they handle the extra load of the FEL much better.
Can you use the FEL with 2 WD, sure. You just cant do as much with it even if you ballast up to the max, you still only have 2 wheels pulling.
NOW lets talk gear drive vs Hydrostatic drive. For FEL work and working in tight places, a Hydrostatic drive is the best thing since sliced bread. I have both types and since getting the Kubota B26 with hydrostatic drive, I hardly ever use the LS P7010 anymore other than bushhogging or pulling the 8 foot disc. I do prefer gear drive for mowing as I hate holding my foot on the hydro pedal all the time. You pretty much have to get the upper level tractors to get a cruise control and as you said that give something else to break.
I cant believe the uses I get from the backhoe and wish I had bought one first rather than last. I know that adds big $$$$(+$7500depending on size of tractor) to purchase price of a tractor but they are to me more useful than an FEL although they work in tandem with each other.
To me a person with 80 acres the perfect tractor would be a 50HP or larger 4 WD tractor with hydrastatic drive (3 range transmission) with Quick attach FEL & backhoe. Although I keep my backhoe on the B26 all the time, it comes off in about 5 minutes or less and that is what you want.

/ What tractor do I need? #22  
I just bought an 80 acre piece of ground that has mostly young pine trees, several food plots, and a small pond. I'll be using the property for recreation (hunting) and growing pine trees. There is also a small pond on the property that I would like to improve. What size tractor should I be looking at? So far, I've looked mostly at Kubotas: L3800, L4600. Should I look at the their M series also? I also like the John Deere 5000 series. The 5045D or 5055D look like they might be a good fit. I would appreciate any advice.

Welcome to TBN--join the fun:laughing:

First, list all the jobs you want to do for the next 5 years and determine the type and size of the necessary implements. Then go tractor shopping.

What you need more than anything is seat time. Drive the tractors you're eyeballing and thoroughly check them out--function, fit/finish, comfort (brakes, clutch, steering, hydraulic controls, instrument cluster, and (especially) the seat). I'd spend at least 30 minutes doing the test drive/checkout on each tractor. The tractors you're presently interested in are in the $20K+ price range so it pays to take your time and try to make the best decision FOR YOU.

Also, be sure to check the dealers' service and parts departments. I prefer a dealer who has a full service capability and a large parts inventory.

Good luck.

/ What tractor do I need? #23  
I've been happy with it. Debated 4wd a long time, but decided against it for your reason plus wanted more maneuverability. Our area is flat and generally loamy soil, and my tractor doesnt make me a living so I can choose to do something else when it's too soggy out. I can also renta larger 4wd if needed for a particular job. But for day-to-day (or more accurately weekend-to-weekend) chores, my 2wd is more than sufficient on my property and handles the FEL well with good rear ballast (often my disk or bushhog).

hchxoom;
I looked at buying a 2WD JD5045D. I asked the dealer about a loader. He told me that he would put one on, but he wouldn't recommend it. He suggested a 4WD.
Did your dealer have any reservations about selling your tractor/ loader combo?

Bill

/ What tractor do I need? #24  
hchxoom;
I looked at buying a 2WD JD5045D. I asked the dealer about a loader. He told me that he would put one on, but he wouldn't recommend it. He suggested a 4WD.
Did your dealer have any reservations about selling your tractor/ loader combo?

Bill

No, he didn't. Quick history. We have a very good local JD dealer with a long history of great sales and support. Was, like most, a family business until 5 or 6 years ago when they sold to and joined a regional group with 6 or 7 locations. One of the two original owners took care of my dad and his tractor needs 20+ years ago, so I've known him for years and hes is as honest as they come, a real straight-shooter and extremely knowledgeable. He retired 2 years ago after supporting the transition, and his son, who grew up in the business, is essentially running the show locally. Son is extremely knowledgeable, too, and someone I completely trust. He generally focuses his time supporting the big farmers and big equipment, but I rated his attention because if our family histories (and also because his wife works for me). I only share all of this to say that I wasn't dealing with a junior associate or a green salesman trying to make a buck, but someone who knows me, my abilities, my needs, and is looking out for me (whose dad and wife would string him up if he didn't).

That said, I don't take issue with any of the 4wd guidance offered in this thread. I haven't seen anything with which I disagree, and think all are spot-on with things to consider.
I'm only offering that for my purposes, the 45hp 2wd JD with FEL was the right balance. Flat land... not likely to be in a mud pit or on the steep banks of a pond... doubt I'll ever test the full capacity of the FEL, it is more of a general utility feature for me... primary purpose of pasture maintenance, food plots, recreational farming, property maintenance and clean-up, moving equip and trailers and horse supplies, etc. On those limited future needs for a backhoe, pond/impoundment work, etc., after talking with my dealer it seemed to make a lot more sense to rent bigger equipment or hire out the job than to invest up-front.

In short, I invested in what I needed 95% of the time, with my property specifically in mind. I could have covered 80% of my needa without a FEL and with a smaller tractor, but that seemed too limiting (would either put off work or have to rent more often), so the upgrade benefit to cost ratio was positive to me. That ratio started to swing the otherway between 90 and 95%, thus my selection and where I decided more was not neceasarily better.

As others have advised, the most important thing you can do is list and understand your needs and uses. Upsizing or adding features above that is advisable to a point, but you have to decide where to stop given your situation.

To your specific question, I've not yet felt unsafe or unstable on my 2wd with FEL, and am confident my dealer wouldn't have put me in it if he'd had concerns... and I specifically asked him the same questions your asking. He knew I'd buy a 4wd if he strongly recommended it. But, again, he and I both knew enough about my situation and uses to make that call... and also knew my risk-averse nature well enough to know I'd take every safety precaution and not push the envelope. I've been happy with my purchase.

/ What tractor do I need? #25  
In short, I invested in what I needed 95% of the time, with my property specifically in mind. I could have covered 80% of my needa without a FEL and with a smaller tractor, but that seemed too limiting (would either put off work or have to rent more often), so the upgrade benefit to cost ratio was positive to me. That ratio started to swing the otherway between 90 and 95%, thus my selection and where I decided more was not neceasarily better.

As others have advised, the most important thing you can do is list and understand your needs and uses. Upsizing or adding features above that is advisable to a point, but you have to decide where to stop given your situation.

To your specific question, I've not yet felt unsafe or unstable on my 2wd with FEL, and am confident my dealer wouldn't have put me in it if he'd had concerns... and I specifically asked him the same questions your asking. He knew I'd buy a 4wd if he strongly recommended it. But, again, he and I both knew enough about my situation and uses to make that call... and also knew my risk-averse nature well enough to know I'd take every safety precaution and not push the envelope. I've been happy with my purchase.

It's good that you have a dealer that knows you, and that you can trust. Here on the mountain we don't have much land that's flat for more than ten feet.:laughing: That may be why the local dealer was cautious.
Like you, on occasion, I need something larger than my 32HP tractor. As much as I liked the JD 4WD I could not justify owning one. I would also love to own a backhoe attachment, but I only would use it every couple of years for an hour or so.
Renting is a good option for me too. I am also lucky to have friends with 75 HP tractors and an excavator.:thumbsup:

Best, Bill

/ What tractor do I need? #26  
I was in the same boat as you... Exactly. I had 80 acres with mixed cutover, pines, creek crossings, and food plots. Went with a M4900 2WD and loader. I plant about 5-6 acres. If your land is flat get 2WD, otherwise get 4WD. Wish I had. I have made it work, but got stuck a few times.

/ What tractor do I need? #27  
i would say M series nothing smaller i owned aN l3800 they are way to small i traded that in on a 7040sud i 70 can ran a round baler it can dig dirt nicly to even pack dirt it will cut 8 '' sand stone in half with no teeth on the bucket

/ What tractor do I need? #29  
What about an L3800 with 4wd and a loader? Too small?

You can think about lift capacity. What is the heaviest thing you need to lift, and how high?
There are some people on this forum that love their L3800, while there are others that feel that their too small. It all depends on what you need to do and how much time you want to spend doing it.
IMHO with 80 acres I would want a larger machine. I would be thinking about a utility size, rather than a CUT. If I had to choose between the L3800 or a 2WD 5045, the JD would win hands down. This is because I'M thinking what I would be doing on 80ac. Will the L3800 do what you need to do?

Bill

/ What tractor do I need? #30  
A L3800 will do alot of work but I think a L4600 or larger would be better.