Backroads Farm

/ Backroads Farm #1  

Backroads Farm

Tractor
No Tractor yet
I recently purchased 10 acres of property in Warren County NC 5 miles south of Warrenton, NC. We are planning to build our future home there in 2013.

The land was partially cleared in 2010-11 and has since overgrown with briars and sweetgums. I am looking for a general purpose tractor with front loader and bushhog and fence auger attachments. I have little experience with tractors and am looking for input.

Backroads

/ Backroads Farm #3  
Welcome to the forum.

/ Backroads Farm #6  
I know a guy with a mx5100 and he does everything with it. Including using a bush hog.

/ Backroads Farm #7  
you are talking about something around 25 to 50 horse power at the pto.. there are alot of good used tractors out there.. do your home work and start looking.. welcome the forum.. Lou

/ Backroads Farm #8  
Welcome to the forum. Lots of folks here have favorite tractor, and tractor colors. The truth is most major tractors are pretty good, solid machines. However, they are not identical. They all have design and capabilities that seem good to some folks, and not-so-hot to others. The best way to see what you like is to simply try them. Dealers will let you start machines and run them around the lot. Do that. See if you like the control layout and the way things move. Remember that you will spend a lot of time on this machine, so a good fit is important. The arrangement of pedals and controls may suit you one one, and not on another. You only find out such things by trying them.

Another very important factor is the quality of the tractor dealer. As a new tractor owner, it is important that you have a good, established dealer to give you advice and service. Indeed it is probably as important as picking the right tractor.

As to the size you need, no one can really tell without good knowledge of the terrain on your property, and the size of the overgrowth. I have a lot of gum and brush on my Virginia land - 120 acres - and handle it well with a 38 hp compact utility tractor. With only 10 acres, I would doubt you need much more. If you feel you have big stuff to clear, it would make financial sense to hire or rent equipment to do that, then buy a cheaper tractor to maintain it.

Don't forget that farmers and landowners around your new property are a good resource. Ask them about tractors, dealers and working on your kind of land. Most rural folks are delighted to talk about such things.

Make your decision carefully, and enjoy your new machine. By the way, I am a John Deere fan... Big green. But that's me.

/ Backroads Farm #9  
:welcome: