Comparison What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862?

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #1  

flyweed

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2544 & LX1050
I have a chance to buy either of these locally, comes with mower decks, front snow blower and each also has a rear tiller (If I remember right). Price is about the same on each.

Just wondering, if you could only choose one, which would it be and WHY ??? I have a couple days to think it over, but can only pick up one of them.

So what are pluses and minuses of the JD 212 and the Cub 1862?

Do these both have front and rear hydraulics? I am going to be using this as my main snowblower, on a 200ft uphill driveway, and also hilly mowing in the summer

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Dan

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #2  
The biggest reason is the cub is a hydro trans and the deere is gear.

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862?
so are you saying go with the Deere or the Cub?? which one has more bang for my buck as far as power wise?

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #4  
All of those implements are easier to use with a hydro transmission that the cub has and the deere does not. The cub also has 50% more horsepower. Condition being equal? I'd probably pay $3-$400 more for the cub.

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862?
ok.what about a JD 317 or a Cub 1862?

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #6  
Id go with the Cub since it has a hydro trans. It will work better with the blower and for mowing grass. You could run a power angle blade on the cub, I'm not sure how they did the hydraulics. The Cub is a more modern machine.

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #7  
ok.what about a JD 317 or a Cub 1862?

Personally I'd hold out for a '93-'01 Deere 425,445,or 455. There are a few versions of 317 with some being quite undesirable.

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #8  
XSKIER said:
Personally I'd hold out for a '93-'01 Deere 425,445,or 455. There are a few versions of 317 with some being quite undesirable.

Either of the two JD models are upwards of 40 years old. Your advice is solid. Look for something newer. Parts could be at issue.

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #9  
The JD 212, 317 both had a varible speed feature that is being obsoleted by JD so parts are getting harder to find. I am a big fan of the old deeres but the parts availabilty makes them less desireable for the go to tractor.

Agree with look for newer models since they have auxillary hydraulics and turn much shorter than the older JD models. Not familiar with Cub model but if made by MTD the quality is not what the original cub cadets where...

/ What should I get a John Deere 212 or a Cub 1862? #10  
Not familiar with Cub model but if made by MTD the quality is not what the original cub cadets where...

That's not true they are still a good machine, just not the ones you get at the box store. They sold out to MTD in 1981.