3Pt log splitter Costs/value

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
going to look at a 3 pt log splitter seller says it has no labels or name brand only a reference to 2500 psi. Any ideas on a fair price assuming good condition and operation? To be used on my L5740 using the loader connections I only split wood for camping trips. I have no details other than it works good. I am thinking for my limited use it will be better than a maul

What do they sell for used in good condition?

my neighbor no longer uses wood so he let his brother have his splitter I had used before

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #2  
I have a 3PH log splitter from Harbor Freight. They quit selling this splitter for unknown reasons, but I think it was because so many people used their 20% off coupon to buy them. They sold for $500 and the coupon reduced that down to $400. I have just finished using mine to split wood and it works great, but you naturally have to tie up your tractor to use it. I'm thinking that your FEL quick connects won't be the 1/2" quick connects that most remotes are. I've found on my tractor that I need the tractor's engine running at 2000 rpm or more to ensure maximum flow. My tractor's pump puts out 9.8 gpm. Also, you will need to use the FEL's lift circuit and the raise position of the joystick. If you get into float, you won't have fluid to your splitter. In the curl circuit, you have to stay away from the regenerative position also.

I like my 3PH splitter fine. I use the 3PH to raise the splitter up and sit it halfway onto the back lip of my trailer. Then, as logs split and fall off, the trailer catches them. I can do a 2nd split or toss the wood into the front section of the trailer for transport. Without something to catch split logs, I find that picking logs up off the ground is tedious and sometimes they fall off the splitter and onto my feet if I'm not careful. Really, mounting the splitter inside a small trailer with long hoses to attach to the tractor is a better setup than the 3PH in my opinion. I've been keeping my eyes on craigslist for good deal on a small trailer. If your back is better than mine, then picking up rounds and splits off the ground may not be an issue.

I would think a 3PH splitter in good shape would be worth $250 to $300. I'd offer $200 and then dicker a bit on prices. Having to buy new hoses and quick connects is something extra you will have to consider and that will be over $100 by the time you get set up.

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value
they have come down to 400 I will try to go see it this week....we will see its not a big deal if i dont get buy it . Your point about hoses is valid as I dont have rear remotes and will have to use the loader
Does I have a power beyond on my tractor? 2008 Kubota L5740

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #4  
Do you have 6 hoses connected to the FEL valve or 7?

You may have PB off the hyd block.

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #5  
I use a 3pt log splitter on my JD 990,, I got it at TSC a few years back.. don't remember the cost but now they show them at $750 plus tax if your not tax ex.. my 990 didn't have remotes so I had John Deere installed two lines to the back just for the splitter,, the splitter I have has a valve on it.. so I just plug the lines in,, turn the tractor on and go to work.. Lou

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #6  
I bought an old JI Case dual-sided splitter, I believe it's rated for 10 tons, 3 point hitch.

I ran it off of the farms NH 2420 (60Hp / 10 GPM~ish) - worked great, even faster than our 35 ton Toro log splitter.

I recently got all the adapters from 3/4in fittings to 1/2 inch fittings, that are on my home 2305's power beyond kit. I'm going to see how it works with that. I don't think it will be as fast, but I'm basically only splitting stuff I get from my house or friend's houses. The majority of my wood will still come from my family's farm, so I'm not too worried about speed.

I paid $435 for it and had to replace one hose on it. I would highly recommend the dual sided splitter, it makes things seriously, twice as fast. I always find myself waiting for the 35 ton splitter... This one, even with 3 of us - we can't keep up.

/ 3Pt log splitter Costs/value #7  
I have a 3PH log splitter from Harbor Freight..

Hazard fraught, I would have guessed they stopped selling them because people were bending rams, or frames, broken welds, exploding seals/hoses, valves that only work in one direction.
I'm pretty sure with their topnotch lowest bidder construction that they make way more than 20%

I gave up on their stuff years ago 3 out of 5 were bad experiences the other Two were underwhelming.

Dave