Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Tractor
    TBD

    Default What do I need

    Hi! Great site!

    I just bought a 5 acre property and am looking for a tractor. I have no idea what I need, but can tell you what I want:

    1. The driveway is close to 450' long. A bucket or blade attachment is a must. The driveway is also brick, if you have any advice on not destroying that one.
    2. Mowing. We're moving from a 1/2 acre property to this one. The prior owners were keeping about 2 - 2 1/2 acres in lawn and the rest in native grass. Ideally, I'd like to be able to mow with one attachment and vary the technique as required.
    3. Lifting. I'm a car/home improvement guy. It'd be nice to be able to fork a full pallet (<2000 lbs) to save my aging back.

    I have no brand loyalty. Some of my farming/hobby farming co-workers have been making recommendations about Allis and Massey. I'm pretty open.

    I am siding towards a gas tractor to keep things as simple as possible, but I have some limited diesel experience if turns out to be the better option.

    Thanks!

    Brooks

  2. #2
    Super Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,013
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: What do I need

    Brick driveway, all 450' of it? Maybe a power broom would be handy?
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,670
    Location
    Batavia, NY
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

    Default Re: What do I need

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonengineer View Post
    Hi! Great site!

    I just bought a 5 acre property and am looking for a tractor. I have no idea what I need, but can tell you what I want:

    1. The driveway is close to 450' long. A bucket or blade attachment is a must. The driveway is also brick, if you have any advice on not destroying that one.
    2. Mowing. We're moving from a 1/2 acre property to this one. The prior owners were keeping about 2 - 2 1/2 acres in lawn and the rest in native grass. Ideally, I'd like to be able to mow with one attachment and vary the technique as required.
    3. Lifting. I'm a car/home improvement guy. It'd be nice to be able to fork a full pallet (<2000 lbs) to save my aging back.

    I have no brand loyalty. Some of my farming/hobby farming co-workers have been making recommendations about Allis and Massey. I'm pretty open.

    I am siding towards a gas tractor to keep things as simple as possible, but I have some limited diesel experience if turns out to be the better option.

    Thanks!

    Brooks
    You are going to need a tractor with about 3000# loader lift capacity to lift 2000# on a set of forks.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020
    585.343.0770

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Tractor
    TBD

    Default Re: What do I need

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Brick driveway, all 450' of it? Maybe a power broom would be handy?
    All of it. Hand laid. Someone crazy lived there before me.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Tractor
    TBD

    Default Re: What do I need

    Quote Originally Posted by LAWALLSTRACTOR View Post
    You are going to need a tractor with about 3000# loader lift capacity to lift 2000# on a set of forks.
    That seems like a pretty large tractor. If I skip the fork abilities, what are my best options?

  6. #6
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    932
    Location
    Mt Crawford Va
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

    Default Re: What do I need

    Sub compact from a dealer near you.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member jpm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    552
    Location
    Panther Lake, Oswego County New York
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2810 HST, Kioti DK35SE HST

    Default Re: What do I need

    Personally i would down size the lift cpacity a bit, go with a nice Hydrostatic 4 wheel drive and look for a tire scraper to put on the front end loader. There used to to scrape manure on concrete floors in barns. This would work nice on paver driveway. . . .John
    Lord, Help me to be the man my dog thinks i am . . .John. Mahindra 2810HST, 108H loader with Quick tach buckets and forks. Kioti DK35SE HST with loader, Hyd. top link and second set of rear remotes, 60" and 66" buckets, Kubota 900 RTV and a bunch of other good stuff
    Buy more equipment, It makes life easier.!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    48
    Location
    Port Crane, NY
    Tractor
    Ford 1920, JD LT180

    Default Re: What do I need

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Brick driveway, all 450' of it? Maybe a power broom would be handy?
    The local university uses power brooms on skidsteers to keep the sidewalks clean in the winter. They do an amazing job. I wonder how much snow these can move? How much snow does it take to become too much for a power broom?

    Joe

  9. #9
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,279
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: What do I need

    If you don't need to lift the forks/pallets more than 18", then you can probably achieve 2000# lifting with 3 point forks on a reasonably sized tractor.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    701
    Location
    Staunton, VA
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

    Default Re: What do I need

    Talk to your neighbors and find who they say are the best tractor dealers. Check out farm stores and the like. Pick a good dealer. Then start talking tractor. Sounds like a good CUT would do for your needs. You have a pick of the mowers and brush cutters available. One might meet your requirement. Don't forget to actually drive the tractor before you buy. If it feels awkward or not right, try another size or another brand. But do buy from a good dealer. Service and advice will be very important for a new tractor owner.

    I had experience only with gasoline tractors until 2000, then got a diesel. It was old, but a wonderful tractor. Diesel require so little maintenance that you have lots of time to figure it out. In 10 years I had one significant repair - and I got a neighbor to do that. Bought a new diesel CUT earlier this year because I was having trouble getting on the big unit.

    I have seen local government folks plow brick or cobblestone streets with a blade with wooden skids or shoes on it. Seems to get all but a little snow, the rest melts or is bushed off. Lot depends on the smoothness of the pavers.

    I'd go with forks on the 3pt hitch too. Even most CUTs can handle all you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.