Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

Default Re: Researching my first tractor

Welcome, and enjoy your quest. Check out dealers first, find out how long they have been in the area and talk to locals about their tractors. A good dealer is as important as a good tractor. Service after the sale and warranty work. For small tractors I am a kubota fan, for bigger ones I like green or blue paint. I am on my second Kubota on the farm that I live on and I have nothing but good things to say about them and my dealer. If you have any farm shows in your area check them out before you buy.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I really can't improve on the advice so far, spend time reading similar posts on TBN and consider all makes. If you are not that familiar with tractors, rent one the size you are considering for a weekend. Lots more people buy too small than too laerge and a tractor seems to shrink once you use it a while. Good luck.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF 230 and Mitsubishi D2000

Welcome from Oklahoma.

Ken
    Massey Ferguson 230
    Mitsubishi D2000

Tractor
    None

Welcome to TBN

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons forum.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5640SUD

Quote Originally Posted by whitet101 View Post
    Hi everyone, New to the site, love the info gained so far.
    Probable purchace will be a kubota L3200 with Fel, Backhoe and rotary tiller.
    It's not clear from your post whether it's the case but if you've had little or no experience with tractors in the past, then my suggestion to you would be to give your quest some time. There's allot to know about tractor features, tractor brands, new versus used, tractor dealers etc... It's only due to a lack of cash that I've spent the better part of a year researching my purchase choice. I'm happy circumstances were such that I've had to wait. Good luck whitet101

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

"Probable purchase will be a kubota L3200 with Fel, Backhoe and rotary tiller."

Do you REALLY need a backhoe? Heavy, expensive and ties up the three-point hitch. Trust me, you will not want to remove/replace that backhoe, so the rotary tiller will sit.

FEL, on the other hand, is always useful. Four wheel drive is essential with FEL.

Rather than a backhoe maybe a <$400 bucket spade on your FEL will suffice. L3200 is excellent size and weight to optimize bucket spade.

Link to bucket spade:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...using-fel.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0430-jpg   -img_0428-jpg   -img_0429-jpg  
    Last edited by jeff9366; 12-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Tractor
    Kioti CK27HST

Keegs, I have the same lack of cash dilemma, I have never owned a tractor but, have been using them for many years.

It is likely i will postpone the backhoe till later. for financial reasons.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    2011 Cub Yanmar EX2900

be sure to check out the Yanmars...you can often get a lot more tractor for the same money compared to other brands....well built with great value

Tractor
    Kioti CK27HST

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9366 View Post
    "Probable purchase will be a kubota L3200 with Fel, Backhoe and rotary tiller."

Do you REALLY need a backhoe? Heavy, expensive and ties up the three-point hitch. Trust me, you will not want to remove/replace that backhoe, so the rotary tiller will sit.

FEL, on the other hand, is always useful. Four wheel drive is essential with FEL.

Rather than a backhoe maybe a <$400 bucket spade on your FEL will suffice. L3200 is excellent size and weight to optimize bucket spade.

Link to bucket spade:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...using-fel.html
    Jeff, this is a great tool and would be a perfect interum fix until I could afford the backhoe. I have very rocky soil. Any thoughts on how it works in rocky soil?

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

BIG rocks or gravel? Bucket on my B3300SU weighs 216 pounds + 110 pounds for bucket spade + FEL down hydraulic pressure [ ? ] + limit of tire traction pushing FEL [ ? ] = Total Available Force To Push Bucket Spade into ground. A pretty large force pressing on a sharp edge.

L3200 has a heavier bucket, heavier frame and larger tires. Yes, I think the bucket spade would work in gravel soil. If the rocks are granite boulders the sharp edge may be battered dull and require regular if not frequent sharpening. Learning to finesse the FEL joystick is important.

My soil here in north/central Florida is sandy-loam with some limerock, up to cantaloupe size. The bucket spade cuts right through limerock.

RE Backhoe: The three point hitch is where most interesting implements mount. You want it readily available; not tied up.

What is your projected use for a backhoe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0450-jpg   -img_0439-jpg   -img_0357-jpg   -img_0335-jpg   -img_0378-jpg  

-img_0473-jpg  
    Last edited by jeff9366; 12-22-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast