Researching my first tractor

/ Researching my first tractor
What is your projected use for a backhoe?

Short term the backhoe is not much needed although i would find uses for it. Planning on building a new home in a few years, so it would be around for trenching and site work. I was only thinking of getting it with the original purchase to take advantage of the 0% financing. But i probably will postpone due to funds.

be sure to check out the Yanmars...you can often get a lot more tractor for the same money compared to other brands....well built with great value

I found a dealer not to far from me. I will give them a look. very familiar with the Yanmar Marine engines and Deere seems to have good luck with them. Thanks

/ Researching my first tractor #23  
For general utility but especially site work I would buy a heavy box blade with rippers and, for your loader bucket, a versatile Ratchet Rake.

There is no hydraulic down pressure supplied by the three-point hitch, so you will want a heavy box blade so it will cut in your rocky soil, not float. As box blades are pretty indestructible, generally available used.

I consider the $320 I spent on a Ratchet Rake at Tractor Supply Co. has provided best return on investment. Ratchet Rake will be useful working your rocky soul. Ratchet Rake is excellent for clearing brush, too.

A bucket spade might be my third choice.

LSU Ag Center maintains a web site for attachment information:

isuagcenter.com

The attachment universe is so vast that neither bucket spade nor Ratchet Rake are discussed!

Finally, to me, proximity of tractor dealer and quality of service provided would be major factors in my purchase decision.

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
   / Researching my first tractor #24  
I spent the past year pouring over posts on this forum before pulling the trigger on my tractor purchase and it was time well spent. Sometimes I'd get an answer before I had the question in mind which it probably typical of a lot of us newbies. Anyway, have fun and enjoy these characters. :welcome:

Thanks, I am getting great advice. Looks like you made a nice choice.

/ Researching my first tractor #26  
Thanks, I am getting great advice. Looks like you made a nice choice.

I'm happy I went with the L4240 given that initially I was looking at the L39. Loading the rears was something I learned about here although I have tractor experience from living and working on a NH dairy farm back in the 70s. Back then we loaded tractor tires with a salt solution and I recalled it eating rims. I went with Rim Guard and glad I did as otherwise there is no way I'd feel safe on my hill. This forum was also helpful in giving me something to think about while I waited for my tractor to arrive. The wait was something else! :turtle::drool:

/ Researching my first tractor #27  
I really can't improve on the advice so far, spend time reading similar posts on TBN and consider all makes. If you are not that familiar with tractors, rent one the size you are considering for a weekend. Lots more people buy too small than too laerge and a tractor seems to shrink once you use it a while. Good luck.

^ +1
Sage advice.

/ Researching my first tractor #28  
rent one the size you are considering for a weekend. Lots more people buy too small than too laerge and a tractor seems to shrink once you use it a while. Good luck.

Agreed buyers remorse can be very costly if your buying new. Renting one would be a lot cheaper than the loss you would incur if you decided the new tractor you bought was under powered, under weight, and FEL is under capacity, and you needed to trade up. Look at the number of people that have bought 3 or 4 tractors each time getting one just a little bit bigger than the last.

Dave