Buying Advice JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #1  

Nashville

Tractor
Currently tractorless...JD 26G being traded for a new tractor.
I have a chance to get a 40 hour 4520 with a loader for $29,500. With the current JD incentives, I can get a new 5055e, loader (more capable), and 65" Frontier box blade for a bit less. I'm confident either will do the job I need it to do (4WD, tree/brush clearing, smoothing, moving dirt, mowing) The 5055e seems beefier, and more utilitarian. I don't have an opinion on the different shifting options, as I've only used a Hydrostat on 35 horse painted blue. On the 5055e, I'll have to chop the exhaust stack to get it in the garage unless somebody knows an aftermarket fix. JD is the only major manufacturer with a local dealer and/or support. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #2  
Can't help you decide. John Deere does offer an optional side or down exhaust for the 5055e if that helps.

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #3  
What Zebrafive said...
Go with the 5055e and factory exhaust modification...

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #4  
It sounds like you will be doing a fair amount of directional changes if your going to get the 5053 i would recomend buying the 12x12 power reverser trans (No clutching required for going to reverse) for $2000 the 9x3 is only syncronized in reverse from 2nd and R on the main shift. The 5053e has a very minimalist operator station as you said utilitarian and is also made in india. as for rear hydraulics it is only designed for 2 Valves, for the money i would consider a kubota 5140 their operator stations are much nicer and are setup for 3 Rear valves or look at the other orange company. The 24" tires on the 5053 are a plus as they ride smother over the bumps.
Hyrdaulic flow is actually higher on the 4520

I'm sure you would be happy with either tractor i prefer you the utility tractors as you get more bang for the buck. I was steered away from the more basic J.D. Utility tractors because J.D. was not offering competitive features with everyone else. The new e series is closer but still lacks in the operator station.

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #5  
It depends on your use. For working, the 5 series is more capable. Your choice is between a compact and a ag utility. For suburban lot owner, the 4520 is a lot of machine. For a 20+ acreage, a 4520 is a lawn mower. Very few people have ever said their machine is too large.

As for being built in India... so what. Deere builds machines internationally. It's the parts & service support that counts.

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #6  
I would think that these tractors would be very close in their abilities to perform most jobs. For jobs such as mowing their pto hp is the same so expect them to be able to yield similar results. When you look at low travel speeds the 5055E will out pull the 4520 because of higher weight and tractive force. When you consider pulling a disk at 5.0 mph then these machines would be very close in their abilities. If the vast majority of your work is in an open field setting I would go for the 5055E as I like the cat 2 hitch and larger frame size for this application. If you expect to do more close quarters work and need to manuever with more precision then the 4520 with ehydro would be my choice.

I went through this in 2009 and bought the 4520 cab with hydro and it has been a good choice for my uses. You have to really think about your own intended uses to make a good decision.

Last edited:
   / JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #7  
I would think that these tractors would be very close in their abilities to perform most jobs. For jobs such as mowing their pto hp is the same so expect them to be abe to yield similar results. When you look at low travel speeds the 5055E will out pull the 4520 because of higher weight and tractive force. When you consider pulling a disk at 5.0 mph then these machines would be very close in their abilities. If the vast majority of your work is in an open field setting I would go for the 5055E as I like the cat 2 hitch and larger frame size for this application. If you expect to do more close quarters work and need to manuever with more precision then the 4520 with ehydro would be my choice.

I went through this in 2009 and bought the 4520 cab with hydro and it has been a good choice for my uses. You have to really think about your own intended uses to make a good decision.

Well stated different benefits to each. I think I would enjoy working a 4520 hydro in some situations, but for my situation the 5055E would be the better choice and after operating my 5303 for the last year I can honestly say I am well pleased. Definitely want to go with 4wd regardless of your choice.

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #8  
Well stated different benefits to each. I think I would enjoy working a 4520 hydro in some situations, but for my situation the 5055E would be the better choice and after operating my 5303 for the last year I can honestly say I am well pleased. Definitely want to go with 4wd regardless of your choice.

Hey, I could see having an old "New Generation 4520" to go with my late model 4520, that would add a little diversity to the mix.:thumbsup:

/ JD Buying Advice: 4520 v. 5055E #9  
Hey, I could see having an old "New Generation 4520" to go with my late model 4520, that would add a little diversity to the mix.:thumbsup:

It just comes down to need versus wants with me. Started out with 2wd 5105, then added loader and then traded to where I am now. Feel like I am where I NEED to be now, but tractor looking has been an issue for me since I was kid.