Push tractor or similar

/ Push tractor or similar #1  

Steve_Miller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kioti CK30HST
We are looking for a small tractor or tow motor for pushing 3 ton kiln cars around at our brick plant. They are looking at a Kioti CS2410 but I'm not convinced this is the proper thing for the job. The previous two tractors were a John Deere 318 and recently a small Cub Cadet garden tractor/mower type. They get a lot of abuse and they have a large bumper built on the front for pushing and they sometimes use the 3ph for hooking and towing the cars on the rails. I'm thinking that the 4wd will be tore out in no time if they don't disable it. Anyone have any ideas for this task. Everything is done at a slow speed, less than 5mph

Thanks
Steve

/ Push tractor or similar #2  
The Kioti should be a whole bunch more rugged, reliable and capable than what you have been using, but it's still mostly a homeowner/small estate kind of machine, not something meant to live a hard life in a brick plant. If you're operating on a dry paved surface, you're right, using the 4wd would be a problem. But if you need to get 6,000 lbs moving on gravel, dirt or snow, it would be very useful. The hydrostat would probably be a good choice since you have lots of back and forth and slow operation, as would the diesel powerplant. In Kioti, I'd maybe look at the CK20; other makes would have comparable alternatives.

However, if you've been using old, beat-up lawnmowers for this work, going big time with brand-new equipment is quite a leap. Maybe finding some dead-solid small used tractor like a Yanmar, Ford, Mitsubishi, Shibura, Kubota or other make, would make more sense. Those little things, if cared-for and driven right, can last about forever and don't cost a lot. Buy two so you have a spare, and if one dies, go get another. Heck, there are still places using old Ford Jubilee's and such as yard mules... gas engines, gearboxes and all.