Dealer Light-weight deer rifle for my wife

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #1  

Richard1942

Tractor
Ford 3000 Gas
I am interested in purchasing a light-weight rifle for my wife. I've had friends recommend a 243. She is my deer hunting partner and would like something smaller and lighter weight than a 30-06. We are both novices and feel from reading many recent posts, that this is a good place for advice. We hope you can help.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #2  
My 12 year old shoots a 243. It is the smallest round you can use in CT for deer. Great round and low recoil. TC make that single round interchangeable platform. Light weight, super accurate, durable, and simple to operate. My kid has a savage youth. That may also work and a good value.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #3  
lots of options out there.
30-30 lever action comes to mind.
It is a nice light weight gun & good brush gun.
Had "lots" of friends and cousins use it for their first gun. some still today.
I used a 16 ga. shot gun for my first.
Now have my fathers old 30-06
I'm not one for investing alot of money into guns.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #4  
Im very pleased with the Tikka T-3, mine is the wood stock "Hunter" vs the composit ""Lite". Plenty of ammo options very efective for deer. Especialy like the removable magazine for quick clean load/unloads. Run about $650. My wife and other light lady neighbors have shot it without any trepidation or flinching. Cheap $16 federal 100grain soft point for target practice at Walmart. Great gun and great caliber. Plus you can scale down for Coyote.

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #5  
   / Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #6  
lots of options out there.
30-30 lever action comes to mind.
It is a nice light weight gun & good brush gun.
Had "lots" of friends and cousins use it for their first gun. some still today.
I used a 16 ga. shot gun for my first.
Now have my fathers old 30-06
I'm not one for investing alot of money into guns.

My 30-30 lever has been putting Deer in the freezer since 1965 it was my grandfathers, then my fathers and now mine. I would defiantly recommend it

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #7  
Hiya,

I use 7x57 and 6.5x55 sporterized Mausers. Both outstanding for taking deer and carrying all day in all kinds of brush. Check out your local gunstore or gunsmith, you can normally find sporterized bolt action military mausers there on the cheap that will be just the ticket for deer.
The US Springfields and 1917 Enfields are getting pricey but the British Enfields can still be had for resonable cash but these are 30 caliber full power rounds and a lot more punishing to shoot. If you don't mind the recoil, the Yugo K98 Mauser in 8x57 is outstanding, a bit much for deer up close but if your out west and making those 150-200 yd shots, the 8mm will reach out there.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #8  
My wife uses a 243,, her rifle of choice,, she has had many over the years and still have several different cal. in the gun save.. but when she goes hunting for anything other than birds.. she takes the 243..Lou

/ Light-weight deer rifle for my wife #9  
I have a Kimber Model 84 Classic .223 caliber. I had to save quite a while to get one. I have owned a lot of guns.This is the sweetest rifle that I have ever had in my hands. And it is a true Mauser bolt action.

Kimber America | Classic