Need opinions on....

/ Need opinions on.... #1  

autotech

Looking for opinions on the following tractors. Keep in mind as a professional auto tech I'm not adverse to some "fiddling", and that I have pretty much decided on 2 peices of equipment - a backhoe/loader and something "cool" to do the mowing and ag work. About 18 acres total, pasture and plantings.

1948 J Deere "B" Decent condition, fair tires, tri-cycle front end, has a rear mounted gearbox assembly that looks like a 3 point lift assembly and also rear hydraulic fittings(?). Sellers looking for $1800 (private) (I'm a little concerned that this unit may be too small - can't see a 2 cyl running a field mower...)

1968/69(?) J Deere 2020 Good condition, wide axle, 3 point, rear hydraulics, gas, currently has loader frame which will be removed, good tires. Buyer asking about $7K (dealer)

1950's (?) Massey Fergeseun Model 65. Fair condition, good tires, wide axle, gas, 3 point and rear hydraulics. About $4K (dealer) (I'm kinda leaning towards this unit - same local dealer who has the bh/loader I'm looking at, might make package deal and it looks "cool")

I've also located an older J Deere backhoe/loader for about $6500, but I have to get the model number before I ask opinions on THAT particular unit

As always..

Thanks for the help folks!!!

Gregg

/ Need opinions on.... #2  
Interesting selections: The Deere 2020 would be a good choice for all around work, however, you can buy a new compact almost for what they want for that one. The Ferguson is a strong candidate. It will probabley do anything you want to accomplish. Just remember to use an overrunning coupler if the Ferg. does not have a two stage clutch (not sure what 50s year you are looking at) on any rotary cutter. $1800 for a good B model JD is a good price. Not to worry about 2 cyl not being able to pull a cutter, those things have about 5 inch pistons and tons of torque (not to mention a flywheel that weighs a couple of hundred lbs.). Personally, I'd go dicker with the dealer on the 2020. If you can get it for $5 or close you won't hurt yourself and it will do anything you want within reason. Just my $.02 worth....BobG in VA

/ Need opinions on.... #3  
Thats an excellent price on that old B which by the way has 190 cu. in. in a 2 cyl engine (massive bore and stroke) but it may not be the best choice for general duties, the 2020 is overpriced, the Massey sounds more inline as far as price goes, the gas 2020's had 180 cu. in. 4-cyl., gas 65 Massey had 176 4-cyl.

/ Need opinions on.... #4  
I agree with Bob. That 2020 would be a good machine, my first choice if the price was right. The 65 is also a good one. Like has already been said don't worry about that 2 cylinder B at all. Those things could pull about anything.

/ Need opinions on.... #5  
The MF 65 should have a double clutch. There were very few that didn't. That is a fair price for a good tractor.

/ Need opinions on.... #6  
Id sure like to hear a two cylinder " Popping johny " again.

Egon

/ Need opinions on.... #7  
The guy across the road from my office mowed with a borrowed 1010 last year. What a great sound! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need opinions on....
Egon and Gary - It's for just those reasons I'm leaning towards on older/antique unit for my ag/mowing use...

Anybody can mow or plow with a new tractor, but someone doing it with a classic does it with style!

Gregg

/ Need opinions on.... #9  
I'd say go with the MF way more of them around to get parts from when needed. Price is better on the MF too. Does it have Multi-Power by anychance? If so then it is a 62 or newer.

Watch the older Deere TLBs especially the 00A series and older many parts are no longer available for them. Might even be up to the 00Bs by now on parts availability.

/ Need opinions on.... #10  
If you go with the 2020 let me know. If you are getting ride of the loader I am interested. We have a 2020 that stays on our deer land and have been looking for a loader. You can e-mail if you are interested. Thanks