Comparison TLB's

/ TLB's #1  

Morning Wood

Gold Member
I currently own a Ford 1720. Ive put a skid steer quick attach on it and also have a woods backhoe BH 80 I believe. It is the 8' backhoe. It has turned into a pretty handy little machine. The only problem is that it is just that. A little machine. I'm thinking about stepping up to a larger machine that has more capacity. Especially the FEL. Mine has like 850 capacity full lift height and the quick attach makes it worse. Are there any manufacturers out there other than Deere and kubota who make a solid TLB? I've considered going with a tractor and just getting a backhoe for it, except the TLB's seem to have more power in both their FEL's and backhoes than a comparable tractor of the same size. I would say 85% of my use is with the FEL and backhoe, so they are pretty important. I also run a brush hog, post hole digger, landscape rake, rear blade, sickle bar mower, disc harrow with the machine. But these don't get used very often. The brush hog gets used the most a couple times during the summer. Any thoughts or suggestions?

/ TLB's #2  
I currently own a Ford 1720. Ive put a skid steer quick attach on it and also have a woods backhoe BH 80 I believe. It is the 8' backhoe. It has turned into a pretty handy little machine. The only problem is that it is just that. A little machine. I'm thinking about stepping up to a larger machine that has more capacity. Especially the FEL. Mine has like 850 capacity full lift height and the quick attach makes it worse. Are there any manufacturers out there other than Deere and kubota who make a solid TLB? I've considered going with a tractor and just getting a backhoe for it, except the TLB's seem to have more power in both their FEL's and backhoes than a comparable tractor of the same size. I would say 85% of my use is with the FEL and backhoe, so they are pretty important. I also run a brush hog, post hole digger, landscape rake, rear blade, sickle bar mower, disc harrow with the machine. But these don't get used very often. The brush hog gets used the most a couple times during the summer. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well there are numerous brands out there, I know Yanmar makes a compact TLB, CLB40 I believe. IMHO I think you will be best off with a Deere 110 TLB or a Kubota L45. Both will have the improved loader/backhoe capacity and still retain the compact stance of a compact tractor. With the Kubota you could always step up to the M59 if you really need some power but it will co$t. You can pick up a nice used Deere 110 for $25k-$35k depending on your local markets, condition, etc. Same goes for an L45. Now the M59, expect to spend a little more. Just my :2cents:

/ TLB's #3  
I've used the heck out of my TC40 with a backhoe attachment. Like you say, great little units :)

If I were going to replace that or look for something bigger, I would be tempted to look at mini excavators or a something like a Deere 310 construction-grade TLB and just skip over the tractor attachment types.

/ TLB's
Yeah. Those are the only ones I know of. The L45, M59, Deere 110, and the yanmar. I don't think the yanmar is being built anymore. It is a bit too small for what I want to step up to anyway. The M59 I think is just too big for my needs and too pricey.

/ TLB's #5  
I will have had my Deere 110 for 8 years in a few weeks and have just over 1000 hours on it. That said I am very pleased with it as it has performed well for me. The Kubota line of L45, M59 are great models too, so if you are looking for a larger size machine these are what I would consider first.

/ TLB's
Are either the Deere 110 or Kubota L45 available with a factory cab?

/ TLB's #7  
No you can not get a factory cab on them.

Wasn't the JD 110 canceled?

/ TLB's #8  
What is your budget?

Are you looking for full sized TLB in the 80 hp, 14,000 pound range or one of the smaller brands?

My NH 555E was $18,000 with 1,600 hours on it, 2wd one yard loader bucket and 4,000 pounds lift. 4wd and a cab would be a lot nicer. A bigger machine would be nicer. A smaller machine wouldn't ever be an option.

Brands are all pretty similar in the same year range. Buy as new as you can and be sure ther is a dealer close to be support it. Every TLB will break, and you really have to be able to do the repairs yourself.

Eddie

/ TLB's #9  
Are either the Deere 110 or Kubota L45 available with a factory cab?

If you're going to be purchasing a new unit and you want a factory cab...you might want to wait a bit. The engineering team from Kubota's construction side were making the rounds here locally a few weeks ago. They interviewed a lot of salesman and operators and took a heck of a lot of notes. Among other things they did let on that a factory cab is coming for Kubota TLB's.

/ TLB's #10  
JCB makes some nice smaller units, but pricey.