Looking to buy Deere

/ Looking to buy Deere #1  

lbzduramax

Tractor
JD 4710, JD 970
I am considering buying a 4000 series 4x4 Deere with a 4in1 Bucket and a backhoe. I have some concerns that I would like to clear up before I purchase. I feel that the hours are a bit high being over 3,000 and wonder what kind of hours these things can last. I dont plan on using it for more than a few hundred hours a year if that. I found the same tractor with less that 500 hours but without a 4in1 for about the same price, but would rather have the 4in1. What kind of things should I look for/check over when I'm at the dealer?

/ Looking to buy Deere #2  
I would rather have 2500 LESS hours and buy a 4 in 1 bucket for it.

/ Looking to buy Deere #4  
I have a JD '00 4700 that I bought New, and now has over 6000 hours. I have been very diligent about the maintenance. At 250 hrs. I changed the engine oil to synthetic. If the tractor you are looking at has had that type of care, I wouldn't worry about hrs. Having that said, the tractor will Nickel and dime you with things like a starter, front pumpkin seal leaking, front axle mud seals at the Mechanical front wheel drive and such.

Taken care of the Yanmar engines will go well over 10,000 hrs. The tractor itself will not, without many repairs. I just spent $1200. on some rear end drive bolts, but I also use my equipment. I don't abuse it, but I do work it. I have made numerous weld repairs, most all to the loader.

If I were you I would buy the 500 hour machine and purchase the 4in1 bucket or a grapple. You Don't know how the tractor with 3000 hrs was maintained for sure. But if you do know that it was maintained well, go for it.

David

/ Looking to buy Deere #5  
I am considering buying a 4000 series 4x4 Deere with a 4in1 Bucket and a backhoe. I have some concerns that I would like to clear up before I purchase. I feel that the hours are a bit high being over 3,000 and wonder what kind of hours these things can last. I dont plan on using it for more than a few hundred hours a year if that. I found the same tractor with less that 500 hours but without a 4in1 for about the same price, but would rather have the 4in1. What kind of things should I look for/check over when I'm at the dealer?

The first question to ask is; How long was it used as a rental unit? Seems like high hours for a privately owned.

/ Looking to buy Deere
Thanks all for the advice and insight thus far. The tractor with lesser hours is about $2-3K more after talking down the guy on the higher hour tractor, that plus purchasing a 4in1 and having it plumbed in would mean an extra $5k+. If I were to upgrade to a newer/larger tractor in a few years, I would hope not to loose too much on resale of the high hour one. The high hour tractor works out to have been used an average of 8 hours a week which could mean it was private or rental. Either way I guess I will go over all the fluids and look for signs of abuse or neglect and see if they have any maintenance records, etc. on it.

/ Looking to buy Deere #7  
Thanks all for the advice and insight thus far. The tractor with lesser hours is about $2-3K more after talking down the guy on the higher hour tractor, that plus purchasing a 4in1 and having it plumbed in would mean an extra $5k+. If I were to upgrade to a newer/larger tractor in a few years, I would hope not to loose too much on resale of the high hour one. The high hour tractor works out to have been used an average of 8 hours a week which could mean it was private or rental. Either way I guess I will go over all the fluids and look for signs of abuse or neglect and see if they have any maintenance records, etc. on it.

So if you bought a 4 in 1 bucket and put it on the 500 hour tractor for $5k total, you would have 2500 less hours, but at a cost of $5K or $2.00/hour. Would you rent out your tractor for $2.00/hour? Have tried to talk down the price of the low hour tractor? Now is not prime time for the seller and $$$ talks. I would still get the low hour tractor.

/ Looking to buy Deere
I cant disagree with that! I am having trouble reaching the lower hour seller, and would also need to find out if there sufficient SCV's for the 4in1 if I am correct by saying so?

/ Looking to buy Deere #9  
You will need enough SCVs for the 4 in 1 bucket. They can be added

/ Looking to buy Deere #10  
I am considering buying a 4000 series 4x4 Deere with a 4in1 Bucket and a backhoe.

What year and model specifically? There are some major differences between the sizes and years. We had a '98 vintage 4400 that was an absolutely horrible tractor. I've never seen something with so many design related issues. It was very well cared for but used like a tractor should be. At 1700hrs we traded it in with a PTO clutch that was about to let go (amongst other problems). I think the later models were a bit better, but don't have any experience with those.