Advice reqested for (probably) silly question

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #1  

David M

Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Have a 2009 BX2660 and some attachments. I'd like to trade it in for a TLB, like maybe a Kubota BX25D just so I can get the backhoe. Now, I've needed a backhoe only *twice* since buying this tractor in '09, but I just want one. Is that silly or what? What would you do?
I originally got the 2660 because I needed power steering for mowing the small yard thanks to injuries, but it has come in handy for numerous little jobs around the house. I also got it (mainly) for helping my mom keep her country acreage maintained, but that need has disappeared for a few more years. Payments should work out to be about the same so the only financial hit is longer payback term (compared to now.)
Thoughts, please?

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #2  
I considered a BH for my L3400 back in the day too. After talking with my dealer, I came to the conclusion that I could rent a compact excavator many, many times for the cost of the BH. The compact excavator is far superior to any tractor mounted BH in power and operation. Last time I rented the machine, cost me $300 for the weekend, plus fuel. That's lots of rental weekends to get to the $7500 cost of the BH.

This works for me because I have a trailer and truck that will haul the 8000# compact excavator machine.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #3  
I checked with a dealer who gave me a unreasonable cost of like $9,000 to put a new one on my then L3710, but he had a used one coming in he would call me about when he to it. He never called and I started looking at a mini-excavator, bought a used one, for $3,000 more than the BH attachment, and have put about 150 hours per year on it doing things I would never be able to do with the BH. In addition I traded the L3710 off on a L5740 so if I had ought the BH it wouldn't have fit. Plus I have people asking me to help them out so I get paid for some work like a side of beef from a local farmer for digging in some lines they couldn't dig in with a larger machine, $800 worth of scrap iron for helping a neighbor dig it out from among trees when he bought a place that was a mess. None of these would have worked out if I was renting but so far the mini as been more than paying for itself. None of the jobs could have been done with a backhoe because of space, maneuverability, and safety of having tracks instead of tires (go in areas without fear of punctures). I see a lot of good deals on used minis except the price for used is now rising. I have been offered more for mine than I paid for it.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #4  
David:

Unless you just really want a backhoe, I'd take Av8r3400's advice and rent a mini-ex when you need one. They are fun to operate and generally better suited for excavating work than a TLB is.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #5  
Have a 2009 BX2660 and some attachments. I'd like to trade it in for a TLB, like maybe a Kubota BX25D just so I can get the backhoe. Now, I've needed a backhoe only *twice* since buying this tractor in '09, but I just want one. Is that silly or what? What would you do?

The other posters are giving practical advice. But- there is a certain value to having the equipment you want available when you want to use it. I don't spend money on smokes, drinks, gambling, or golf. Instead, I have an expensive addiction to machinery:licking:

We only live once. Follow your heart if you can afford to. For many years, I wanted a hoe for my 755. After looking at the economics, I decided for a few bucks more I could get a mini-ex. Then I spent many more bucks on the one that seemed to be the "right one." Several years ago there was a thread here on TBN on "would you buy a backhoe again?" ( Or something like that) Responders generally agreed that once you had one, you'd want to keep one.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question
Wow. Your answers went into an entirely unexpected direction. A separate mini-ex would be a lot of fun but where I live right now I don't have the room to store it! I made a place for the implements of the scut, but there is just simply no more room. Since I am looking to move, that problem may go away so I'll keep the ex in mind. Thanks for the excellent thoughts.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #7  
I look at the cost of ownership...
I had a number of projects that I needed a small hoe for, so considered renting a mini-ex.
Then I started looking at a BX24. Bought it used with 54"MMM, 3pt snowblower and backblade for $15K
My unsecured line of credit costs 5%... that's $750 per year.
For $750 I can rent a mini-ex for a week... My BX24 is available 365 days a year.
Sure, a small BH won't do everything, but now I've got a really handy multi-tool that probably will still be worth 75% of what I paid for it 10 years down the road.

just my opinion,

Pete

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #8  
If you don't have any room for a mini then where would you keep the backhoe? The size mini that is equal to the BX25 hoe would be very small. Would take up about the same amount of room as the backhoe attachment alone.

I agree with the others, for the price of a 3pt backhoe it really doesn't pencil out for most people. Their great if you have the money and just want the luxury of having a 3pt hoe but if you ever have a chance to run a 3pt backhoe compared to an equal sized mini excavator there is just no comparison.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question
Wow. Your answers went into an entirely unexpected direction. A separate mini-ex would be a lot of fun but where I live right now I don't have the room to store it! I made a place for the implements of the scut, but there is just simply no more room. Since I am looking to move, that problem may go away so I'll keep the ex in mind. Thanks for the excellent thoughts.

/ Advice reqested for (probably) silly question #10  

Where would you store a 3pt backhoe?