Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators

/ Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
I am considering one of these to use as a standby generator for my home with the added convenience of being able to put it in the back of my truck and use it in the field. They weigh 500+ pounds so the B21 would be used to load and unload.

Jenn's%20Kubota%20copy437.jpg

Kubota's specs are online at Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines for the GL11000 and Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines for the GL7000.

They run at 3600 rpm which reduces their efficiency.

I expect the generator would run less than 6 hours a month with an occasional extended run of up to 10 days. I want to use diesel fuel due to its longer life span compared to gas. LP is not an option. I would likely sell all remaining fuel to a local operator and restock once a year. These generators have small tanks but I can easily store a larger quantity of diesel and gravity feed it to the generator.

Can anyone suggest similar but more efficient or cost efficient alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

/ Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators #2  
I saw one of these at a Kubota dealer and just stopped and stared, it was such a nice looking piece of equipment that appeared built to a standard instead of to a price point.

But 3600 rpm? I wonder what redline is on a MB, VW or Audi diesel? They are made for higher speed operation, but at some point durability is an issue. Yanmars in boats run up to 4000 rpm, so high
speed diesels are certainly out there, but is that the right design for a gen set? If keeping weight and cost down are critical issues, 3600 rpm operation seems the only answer. Or perhaps a turbo.

I guess it's a cost consideration, but all these gens are direct connected to the motor. Would take a pretty simple pulley arrangement to get the gen at desired rpm and run the engine slower.
Perhaps that complexity and cost rules it out. I wouldn't be unhappy with a 2800-3000 rpm full load diesel. More than that, I would not want to be an early adopter of a new product.

btw, the pallet fork set up for lifting on this gen is a super idea.

/ Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators
More efficient diesel generators run at 1800 rpm to reduce fuel usage. I suspect that these units are using smaller motors and trading rpm for torque.

They certainly are not a new design. I believe they have been on the market for more than ten years.

/ Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators #4  
I am in love with the KJ-13 , a 1800 rpm unit . Some day i may trade out my Gen-pro 6000 diesel but it is only a backup to the Onan powered Lincoln Ranger 8 so it is not at the top of the list !

/ Kubota GL11000 / GL7000 Generators #5  
Old thread but, we have one of these at work that was bought in 2009, used almost continuously for a year, 4700 hours, and now has sat for almost 4 years. What's it worth? How hard are Kubota fuel injection units to clean out old gummy diesel? Can they even be cleaned out?