Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Default Re: Eagle Creek, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by NWOutlawMX View Post
    Fischer's Mill was where I have been looking mostly, they seem to have all the equipment I'm in the market for and in the price range. Wasn't aware of Pape JD so I'll have to check them out.

Unfortunately I have to leave on the 4th of Jan and will be gone for a few months so will miss the AG show, but when I get back I'll have 4 months to get busy. I've seen people brush hog blackberries but wouldn't that just spread seeds? I had planned on cutting them off with my Stihl combi with brush attachment and shredding them to minimize spreading then spraying. Most of these are 6ft tall. A 6ft sickle bar won't work either because i've seen old barb wire in some areas. Labor intensive yes, but my whole purpose of the purchase was to give myself something to do in the off seasons.

Thanks
    Yeah, Fischer Mill has quite a few nice used tractors on the lot right now. They have a 4wd Mitsubishi but Im not entirely sure where you could get parts for that. They also have a couple Yanmar's although their 226 Yanmar is only 2wd, you would be better off with the 336D. Pape has a decent selection as well, however their prices are a little higher than Fischer mill. I am sure you will find a good deal on the right tractor, I have seen quite a few lately that are defiantly worth the asking price, and of course a few that are way more than they should be.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3038e, International TD8E, Kobelco SK120

After some extensive searching of present and future uses I will be looking for something in the 60hp range and focusing on Massey Ferguson. They make a small round baler that only requires 50 at PTO. I'm 42 and 2 back surgeries so small squares are out, and I would want to keep the bale sizes small to somewhat have something small enough to fit in the back of a truck for hobby farms. I have to head back out to the open ocean for a couple months so am not in too much of a rush and fortunately we now have internet so I can watch what will be available when I return and my budget will be quite a bit larger. Right now Fischers has an MF1190 with a FEL that would work. A mitsubishi BD2J dozer is also on the list to start on the MX track and reroute the driveway back to the house.

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 3038e, International TD8E, Kobelco SK120

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates, I ended up getting a brand new John Deere 3038e with a 5ft brush hog. I also ended up getting a brush rake for it. Here's some photo's from the first 2 weeks I got to use it before I had to leave for 4 months. The brush rake worked great for the bigger blackberries and areas i couldn't see, I've found all kinds of stuff hidden with the brush hog; cable, tires, garbage. The property was vacant for the last 15 yrs and there was access on a part of it through a field so the drug addict squatters used it as a dumping ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc00889-jpg   -dsc00890-jpg   -dsc00885-jpg   -dsc00894-jpg   -dsc00897-jpg  

-dsc00899-jpg  

Tractor
    None yet

Nice!

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Wow, I'm sure that's slow going, but it's doing a great job. Once you get it cleaned up, it will be much easier to maintain. Nice work, and thanks for the inspiring photos.

If the cutting gets too difficult, you might consider getting something like a Piranha Tooth Bar and cutting those vines and stacking them up and burning them when they dry, and then mowing. It would have the added benefit of uncovering some of the "surprises" with your FEL instead of your cutter.

Pappy

Tractor
    John Deere 210LE

Another new member from So Central Oregon. Klamath Falls/Chiloquin area. High Desert Region. I have a few hundred acres. My main interest is approx 140 acres of second growth forest land. I'm getting a old Dozer from a neighbor. For roads, fence lines and clearing smaller trees that have cropped up everywhere.

Now I'm looking into tractors for my other needs. The 140 acres might have a hi/low elevation change of a couple of feet. So no really challenging terrain. I mainly want to make this property creature friendly. With significant Compost piles. With my log home and log outbuildings. And pole barns.

At this point, I'm thinking about tracked Skid Steers. With all the attachments available for them, it just seems to be a good fit.

Anyone have a reason not to go skid steer instead of a full size tractor in my situation?
    edkemper

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

I do not know your age, but skid steers are tough on your body to operate.

Most do not appreciate how much suspension pneumatic tractor tires provide until they spend an hour or two in a skid steer.

The other drawback to skid steers is no three point hitch.

Here are relevant threads from the T-B-N archive:

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Tractor
    John Deere 210LE

Then again, being a retired chiropractor, I think I'd rather a little rougher ride on my soft silty ground than twisting my 62/3 yo body around to see what I'm doing behind me. Twisting around in a tractor style seat, also bouncing, or a slightly rougher ride in my soft silty dirt sitting in a bucket style seat? I like seeing what I'm doing in front of me. I also like my bucket style seats.
    edkemper

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9366 View Post
    I do not know your age, but skid steers are tough on your body to operate.

Most do not appreciate how much suspension pneumatic tractor tires provide until they spend an hour or two in a skid steer.
    +1. I used a borrowed skid steer for a couple of months this summer. My property is really rough and, while I appreciate the strength, visibility and general utility of a skid steer, that thing nearly beat me to death getting it from one part of my property to another.

Maybe something like Xfaxman's Toolcat is a good compromise.

Pappy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12