Buying Advice What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm?

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #1  

jorwick

Tractor
none
My Wife and I are purchasing a small hobby farm and we want to try our hand at no-till farming in small plots (4 plots on rotation of about 1/2-1 acre each ) There are ditch water rights, so I will be flood irrigating the plots.. which I assume means I need a 4x4. .

We will need a no-till drill, a crimper roller, and a bushhog or mower attachment. (anything else I should be considering? I Figure a FEL will always be useful) The ground on the farm is level, and other than a cottonwood tree here and there, there are no hazards. Reliability is a huge factor with us and we are willing to pay for it if required. Of course the wife wants a new one, but I am still considering new or used and trying to understand what I need to look for. Is it better to try and a get a package deal on the tractor and same brand implements, or is there enough of a difference in quality/function that I should be considering the implements separately? I am thinking something in 30hp range should be appropriate, but then you look and there is that 40hp for just a bit more, etc..

I was hoping folks here would throw out suggestions as to what models I should be considering and identify what other pertinent info I should be considering..

Your responses and time and expertise included in them is much appreciated!

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #2  
Start by searching the forum, there is much out there already on this subject, much will be hinged on the size of the implements you want to run and how quickly you want to get your tasks done.

good luck,
Joel

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #3  
A BH attachment is a must have IMO.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #4  
30HP would be ideal. With that size you get just a little more loader lift and more ground clearance. Find one that feels good to you, control wise, ergonomics etc. I would stick with an HST as they are very responsive and great for loader work. I have a Kubota B7800 but was very impressed with a Kioti CK20 I recently sat on, really liked the loader and the 3PT. Good luck, Merry Christmas and I am sure others will give their :2cents:.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #5  
30hp good starting point.
Make list..type of transmission,quick release attachment,tires style etc. etc.

Visit dealers,take test spin,ask about service,most of all have the tractor/controls come to you for comfort.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm?
"Start by searching the forum, there is much out there already on this subject, much will be hinged on the size of the implements you want to run and how quickly you want to get your tasks done"

Actually, having not done this before, I don't really know how long such things <SHOULD> take. Its not going to be a commercial enterprise, but I don't want to spend every day on the tractor for a month either. Ideally I should be able to deal with the planting in a couple of weekends. My wife has been looking at a 4' Kasco no-till drill, but my gut says that may be too small....

The other "Hobby Farm" posts seem to either be about much larger places, or about lawns..

Any one have opinions about Brands? In particular LS or TVM? Or am I better going with a Bobcat, Kubota, JD? Property has easy access to every kind of dealer...

Last edited:
   / What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #7  
I live on 6 acres in middle Georgia. I guess that puts me close to your category. I would suggest to first decide which brand of tractor you want. All tractors are not made the same! I chose Kubota because they are Japanese tractors assembled in the USA...in this case Georgia. There is also a Kubota dealer five miles away from where I live. Parts and skilled mechanics are therefore close by. That made a big difference in and of itself. Four wheel drive and a FEL will make you very happy. I decided upon a Kubota L3240 tractor, with a hydrostat trasmission. Please check out my story at :Just bought Kubota L3240 First Look -- Kubota Review -- Page 1.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #8  
I live on 6 acres in middle Georgia. I guess that puts me close to your category. I would suggest to first decide which brand of tractor you want.

I couldn't disagree more. First decide what you want to do with the tractor, then decide how much tractor you need and what features you want, then find which makes/models provide those features, out of the dealers are within an acceptable range of you. Finally, go drive the actual tractor, visit the dealership, and talk price.

Alternatively, go check out all the dealers in your area to get a better sense of what might fit you. A salesperson can help you find the right tractor to fit your needs. But don't settle on a brand until you have checked out everything that's available. At the very least, you may miss out on the opportunity to negotiate a better price from one dealer.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #9  
I couldn't disagree more. First decide what you want to do with the tractor, then decide how much tractor you need and what features you want, then find which makes/models provide those features, out of the dealers are within an acceptable range of you. Finally, go drive the actual tractor, visit the dealership, and talk price.

That's what makes this forum nice, different opinions.

/ What is the Best Tractor for a 5 Acre Hobby Farm? #10  
i use a TN60A new holland . shes around 60 hp.. with fel.
heck ? my yard is 2.7 acres .. and i use it for yard work all the time.
get the biggest tractor u can afford .. nothing is worse than buying a tractor thats too small.
i wishes now i would have went 80 horse or 100.
i run cow calf on over a 100 acres ..my tractor so far has done everything i need it to do.
but im lucky ..my uncle lives close by .. can use his kubota mx125 anytime i want ... but ?
with my luck ..something will go wrong when i use it...lollol