Comparison King Kutter standard vs professional tiller

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #1  

mjaybee

Silver Member
Tractor
K
So here's the deal, I want to buy a 5' tiller for the back of my B3200HST and I've narrowed it down (pretty much, but I'm open to suggestions) to US built tillers. I like King Kutter, but they have a standard and a professional line. My local TSC carries the standard line and I've found the professional line online for around the same price shipped directly to the house. I like the looks of the pro. model although the standard line look pretty HD. I called TSC and they told me that King Kutter does make there tillers. So there's my dilemma! What's a Kubota Guy to do?

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #2  
I'm sort of having the same problem deciding, except I'm looking at 4' models. One thing is that the professional KK tillers are Quick Hitch compatible. I have a Quick Hitch and a top link adapter, but don't know exactly what makes the standard KK tillers not QH ready. I've got plenty of time to do more research and decide what features are important. I originally liked the 48" Countyline SC model (same as KK 48" XB) but it has a narrower hitch hook-up than std. cat 1. In my opinion, if you can get the PRO model delivered to your door for the same price, I don't see a problem.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #3  
I agree if you can get the pro for the price of the regular I would get the pro.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #4  
I'm sort of having the same problem deciding, except I'm looking at 4' models. One thing is that the professional KK tillers are Quick Hitch compatible. I have a Quick Hitch and a top link adapter, but don't know exactly what makes the standard KK tillers not QH ready. I've got plenty of time to do more research and decide what features are important. I originally liked the 48" Countyline SC model (same as KK 48" XB) but it has a narrower hitch hook-up than std. cat 1. In my opinion, if you can get the PRO model delivered to your door for the same price, I don't see a problem.
If you are going to be using it on the BX25.............you want someting like the XB model. It isn't just the 'narrower hitch' , it's also the lift height...............The BX25 will not lift as high as a compact tractor. The XB style tiller was made specifically for subcompact tractors.

Like the Bush Hog RTC48 tiller I own, it's made for subcompact tractors.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #5  

You may want to measure the height of the lift arm pins on the XB and your lift arms on your tractor. I had a King kutter XB box blade and with my 3PH all the way down it was barely on the ground.

If you are going to be using it on the BX25.............you want someting like the XB model. It isn't just the 'narrower hitch' , it's also the lift height...............The BX25 will not lift as high as a compact tractor. The XB style tiller was made specifically for subcompact tractors.

Like the Bush Hog RTC48 tiller I own, it's made for subcompact tractors.

He may be okay with something short like a tiller these tractor lift pretty high. I can move a wood LR landscape rake I just have to watch real uneven spots. The sure thing to do is measure the lift arm pins on the implement and the 3PH all the way down.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #6  
You may want to measure the height of the lift arm pins on the XB and your lift arms on your tractor. I had a King kutter XB box blade and with my 3PH all the way down it was barely on the ground.

He may be okay with something short like a tiller these tractor lift pretty high. I can move a wood LR landscape rake I just have to watch real uneven spots. The sure thing to do is measure the lift arm pins on the implement and the 3PH all the way down.

You had an XB boxblade that would barely touch the ground on your BX2360? WOW

Checking is required. I purchased a 1 row cultivator from TSC, although I can lift it, all it takes is one bump in my yard and the tines dig in while fully raised. It now resides at my BIL's house and has been fitted with potato hillers. He uses it on his JD790.

TSC mainly sells attachments made for compact tractors.

Here is what it should look like with a tiller attached and raised:

Attachments

• tiller attatched.jpg
    tiller attatched.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
   / King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #7  
Checking is required. I purchased a 1 row cultivator from TSC, although I can lift it, all it takes is one bump in the ground and the tines dig in while fully raised. TSC mainly sells attachments made for compact tractors.

Thank goodness we don't have a limited cat 1 3PH.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #9  
I have a 5' KK tiller standard type (yeller ones) and my Harbor Freight quick hitch hooks right up! You do want 26.5" or more inside clearance on your quick hitch. They are built like a tank, had mine since 2003 and zero problems!!!

As far as the XB models, that might be the best setup for the smaller subcompacts, but you also need to take into account will you ever trade up size wise your tractor in the future? When I got mine I had a JD 2210. The 5' tiller worked the snot outta it, and I couldnt till full depth, lack of HP. Then in 2006 I traded up to a 2520 and the 5' is perfect for it.

Also, take into account the weight of the tiller. The heavier the tiller, the better it will work.. Weight will keep it in the ground.

/ King Kutter standard vs professional tiller #10  
You had an XB boxblade that would barely touch the ground on your BX2360? WOW
:

Boy, I understand that problem! I tried using a cat 0 Brinly 12 inch, 3 point, 1 bottom plow and it wouldn't go down far enough to plow deeper than about 2-3 inches. I tried setting it up by driving the BX25's left side up onto 6" ramps so that I could get the plow sitting flat at the 6" plowing depth. I figured that I could fine tune from there. The plow wouldn't go down far enough to touch the ground, no matter what I tried. I finally got some info from others on this forum on drilling additional holes in the lift arms 2 inches closer to the tractor, and I bought another adjustable side link for the left side to match the one on the right so that I could lower that side too. I haven't yet tried out all of these modifications, so I still don't know if it's enough. Is it possible that Kubota adjusted the 3 point hitch to give more height, but lost that same amount on the low end? It seems like all they would have to do to achieve that is to change the position of the lift (arms?) on the splines coming out of the 3 point housing.