Comparison Cordless impact wrenches

/ Cordless impact wrenches #41  
I have 2 snap-on torque wrenchs 1/2"
Also a 3/8"
OTC 1/4"
I just like to spin bolts/nuts up quick close to torque with a gun and final hand torque always.
The Milwaukee is so darn fast and powerful I have shot past the spec. needed.
I have learned to be quicker with the trigger and short bursts.
With the air gun I would just turn the regulator down
There is no adjustment with the milwaukee, but the portability is great.

I would just use a smaller impact or give the trigger a few quick bursts while it is running up.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #42  
I would just use a smaller impact or give the trigger a few quick bursts while it is running up.

Loosening most things with the 1/2" impact and reassembly with the 3/8'' impact would be a good choice.
Get out the hand torque wrench, when torque is necessary.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #43  
Loosening most things with the 1/2" impact and reassembly with the 3/8'' impact would be a good choice.
Get out the hand torque wrench, when torque is necessary.
Yeah that would be the best. Even it if is something that does require torquing it is still a good idea to check it with a ratchet or a wrench. I never trust a impact.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #44  
I have the Makita BTW450 which is a brute. I have not used it a lot but it has done all I've asked of it. Anything more powerful would break my wrist.

I would not trust it for reassembly of critical bolts though as you can control the torque only by the number of seconds the thing hammers away. I'd rather use a proper torque wrench for that sort of thing. Fine for less critical stuff like wheels and of course breaking nuts loose.

Last edited:
   / Cordless impact wrenches #45  
The new girlfriend decided to buy me a new cordless drill for Christmas. I've given up on Makita drills after my 18v stripped out the gears costing more than a new drill to replace so I decided to try Milwaukee. She got me the 18v drill/ driver with the large capacity batteries. Since it came with two batteries I decided to buy just the 1/2" impact that works with the batteries. It's a brute. I spend a few hours comparing it to my corded Dewalt impact. The Milwaukee clearly has more power (it's rated higher 450 ft/lbs vs 325 ft/lbs). I removed several lug nuts on my Kubota's rear wheels, barely had to hammer before they came off. Once I installed them again the Dewalt would have to hammer on them for 20 to 30 seconds before they would come off where as the Milwaukee zipped them right off.

I went with the detent pin vs hog ring. The hog ring on the Dewalt is starting to get weak, it's about 12 years old. So far the detent is a little hard getting sockets on and off.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #46  
The new girlfriend decided to buy me a new cordless drill for Christmas. I've given up on Makita drills after my 18v stripped out the gears costing more than a new drill to replace so I decided to try Milwaukee. She got me the 18v drill/ driver with the large capacity batteries. Since it came with two batteries I decided to buy just the 1/2" impact that works with the batteries. It's a brute. I spend a few hours comparing it to my corded Dewalt impact. The Milwaukee clearly has more power (it's rated higher 450 ft/lbs vs 325 ft/lbs). I removed several lug nuts on my Kubota's rear wheels, barely had to hammer before they came off. Once I installed them again the Dewalt would have to hammer on them for 20 to 30 seconds before they would come off where as the Milwaukee zipped them right off.

I went with the detent pin vs hog ring. The hog ring on the Dewalt is starting to get weak, it's about 12 years old. So far the detent is a little hard getting sockets on and off.

I went with the spring or hog ring style for the 3 I bought.
The rings are replaceable when they start to wear.
Getting sockets off when your hands are greasy is very difficult with the detent pin.
Pins do hold much harder but when they are worn a whole new anvil must be installed.
Hope you enjoy the new impact.
A++++++ tool for sure.

/ Cordless impact wrenches
I thing the ring style would be better because its easily replaceable and isn't so hard to get sockets off

/ Cordless impact wrenches #48  
I have a large yellow dewalt 1/2" 18volt. My complaint is that it is HEAVY. Really heavy. I use it only for removing bolts. It has a ton of torque, and will rip heads off if you are not careful. In my business Makita was highly desireable when the battery systems came out, but I saw a lot of set guys move to Dewalt, then to Milwaukee which is where it stands at the moment. All I own is Dewalt at the moment, but I won't be buying them anymore. they drills seem to fail way to quickly.

I am very impressed with the 1/4" drivers I am seeing from Milwaukee (the 18 series) as well as the Makitas. I know guys who are now buying the lightweight drivers and drills and using them for professional applications. They just buy more batteries, claiming the uptick in torque is not worth the added battery weight.

Carl

/ Cordless impact wrenches #50  
I went with the spring or hog ring style for the 3 I bought.
The rings are replaceable when they start to wear.
Getting sockets off when your hands are greasy is very difficult with the detent pin.
Pins do hold much harder but when they are worn a whole new anvil must be installed.
Hope you enjoy the new impact.
A++++++ tool for sure.

I've replaced the ring several times on my Dewalt but even when new it doesn't hold the socket as firm as I would like. So far I've noticed that sockets with a hole in them for the pin will not come off without a fight. I use a small nail through the hole to push the pin in. But if I use any of the three other sides of the socket (without the hole) then they aren't that bad to remove. I kind of like the option.