Need Opinions On... (updated post)

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post) #1  

autotech

Ok, some clarification

The Massey does not have a double clutch. It is, however, equipped with an overrunning clutch. The dealer is looking for $3900 as is (it needs some simple repairs, most notably the seat mount is broken - NBD)

The sheetmetal is all pretty straight - I'm really liking this unit, due mostly to a high "cool" factor...

The backhoe/loader I'm considering is a JD400, about 1969/70 vintage. It is diesel, no cab. The pivot drive (a cannister looking unit) is tight (no side to side slop) and all the cylinders are good (no severe pitting, no signifigant leaks). Overall its in fair, outside stored (i.e. kinda ugly), condition. The only serious defect the dealer admits to is that there is a small amount of coolant in the oil. The dealer is pretty confident that this is due to a leaking liner seal. Worst case is a cracked liner. Doing the repair (if I bother) is not a big deal for me, I'm figuring run it this summer (keeping an eye on things of course) and maybe do the seal/liner over the winter if necessary. The dealer is looking for $6500 for this gem, less a rear bucket, which he says he can provide a decent general purpose bucket for about $300.

Unless you all think the pricing on these units is out of line, or there are inherent problems with either, I'm thinking about offering the dealer $9000 cash for both units, the parts to do the liner seal on the Deere (I'll gamble on the liner) and a bucket for the bh.

Nuts or ok plan?????

Gregg

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post) #2  
Not sure about the JD400. I assume it is a track unit rather than tractor. Unless you are intending to do some very dramatic backhoe stuff, you might consider a Woods or a Bradco backhoe that hooks right up to the 3 point hitch of the M/F and runs off the pto. It changes out easily and can be had for what the JD would cost (prior to fixing). I have a good friend that has the Woods backhoe on his 1900 Ford (about 30hp diesel) and it does wonders. Comes off in a few minutes and is completly self contained. Again, just my $.02 worth. PS. same guy has a JD450 loader/backhoe. Engine is great, but be wary of the tracks tripping off, as the adjusters are based on grease fittings (hydraulic with grease piston--takes about a tube of grease to adjust). Backhoe works great on the 450. BobG in VA

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post) #3  
The 400 is based on the 2020 JD farm tractor. Weird Deere lists a few specs and so on. It's interesting that deere used the same basic design up into the very early 80's.

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post) #4  
I'd say the TLB is a 400A then by the sounds of things with the swing pump. Check for parts availabilty like I mentioned before. If you have a leaking liner you had better fix it now!! If you do not you could end up, doing a complete engine rebuild. Check and make sure the TLB has enough power to pick itself up and move with the buckets,and swinging it too, along with the stabilizers.

I'd go with a dedicated TLB myself instead of a 3pth one.

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post)
The link provided by ScottAR is it exactly - in fact the photos could almost be this particular unit! It is a wheeled TLB. Due to the longevity of the basic design the dealer tells me that parts availability should be very good for a while.

I'm considering a separate TLB and ag tractor for 2 reasons - by having a separate TLB I can get by with a less powerful or modern tractor for ag use, so I can enjoy the "cool" factor of some older iron without overworking it. And with two units I won't have to go through the aggravation of mounting/dismounting the bh all the time. I have a fair amount of use for the bh/loader so it would be a constant on/off thing.

Also we plan to do the whole pumkin/Halloween/hayride/Christmas tree/agri-tourism thing, and I figure an older tractor has that much more appeal.

Anybody else with input on the whole deal?

Thanks folks!!!

Gregg

/ Need Opinions On... (updated post) #6  
Yes the engine and tranny parts might still be around. But you better check with a Deere industrial dealer about the swing pump and other "A" series specific parts. The "A" series was the first really factory integrated TLB from Deere,hence on alot of things it is an orphan when it comes to parts. I had a 500A in the late 80s even back then certain parts were getting hard to come by,and some of the supersceded ones did not fit.