Buying Advice Ford 3000 tractor auction

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #1  

MikeAC

Tractor
'72 Power King Kubota B2710 Ford 3600
Ok, so I wrote earlier about a ford 2000 and decided to pass. not much difference than my other tractor in hp, no diff lock , limited gearing.Now I see a ford 3000 with diff lock, 8 spd, one remote, tires seem ok, no major issues listed by the dealer. A little far to go , but I think I can take care of that too. Questions I would have from more experienced buyers is, what else should I ask about? Would you make a compression test, dry, wet , or both a condition of sale, and is this usually done?What if the dealer refuses for whatever reason to do or allow the test, would you bother to go look at it? I want to use it for hobby farming, a back up to the kubota for field mowing, and also because I always liked the look of Ford tractors. I have a two bottom plow, and 5 ft cutter, all cat 1. Probably would have less than 50-100 hrs of use a year.
http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuctions/Details.aspx?OHID=7048616&lp=th

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #2  
Looks pretty nice. If you can get a compression test you trust that would be great, but given that it is an auction there is a lot more at play then you negotiating with the current owner, if that is even possible at this point. I tend not to get my hopes up anymore at auctions, things generally sell for much more than I'd be willing to pay...

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #3  
That's a lot of hours. After reading on here of what people do when selling a machine in a Auction I will never waste my time.

Murph

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #4  
This is my very honest opinion regarding the Ford 3000. I have many hours both operating and repairing a 3000. You name it on a 3000 and I've probably repaired it or worked on it somehow. Not an expert by any means but really know the tractor. With that said...Try to find a Massey Ferguson 135 or 240 instead with the Perkins Diesel engine. Much better machines! Again this is just my opinion based on having a Ford 3000, 2 Massey 135's and a MF 240. The 3000 isn't a bad tractor but it's just not the Tractor a MF 135 or 240 is. Considering maintenance and hours of course.

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #5  
I am no expert either. My observations just looking at this 3000. Being 42 plus years old. It does look taken care of. Typical ware on a ford utility is not there other than paint fade, original seat, grill, metel not abused. The gas engine is a good one.8x2 transmission is also reliable. The dealer wants to get it sold he should let you check it out. I would like to have one similar some day I to have always liked the ford utility models. Good luck

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction #6  
Looks alright to me . Nothing wrong with those hours if it's tidy !

/ Ford 3000 tractor auction
Guys, thanks for the input. Went to look at the tractor last week. The tractor did not start and probably has not been run for a while. Bad weather and distance prevented me from going back. Wish the dealer had told me more when I called.