Buying Advice Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
Like the title says, I'm looking at these two for a purchase in the very near future. We have 15 acres, which could grow to 50-60 in the next year or so. The terrain is mostly level, with a lot of newer growth trees, much of which is dead Ash. There is a derelict house on one parcel, and once that comes down, I plan to clear that lot of the scrub brush and smaller trees, and see if one of the local farmers would be interested in putting beans or corn in (primary crops around here)....probably something like 3 acres to farm. That parcel, plus a second, have a boatload of old garbage, dilapidated sheds, chicken coops, chain link fence that needs pulling, piles of old telephone poles, etc, i.e. a significant amount of cleanup. Between those two, I also plan to put in a shooting backstop that's something along the lines of 50' wide by 8+ feet tall (USPSA/IPSC shooter). If I need something really big, I can borrow a loader, excavator, dozer, etc from a neighbor, but don't want to wear out that welcome.

Which would you pick, and why? Side note: I need to stay with a hydrostatic transmission so my wife can help with mowing, and brush hogging. The local dealer carries both, seems very responsive, and has been in business 30+ years. They're asking $22,250 for the Kioti w/FEL, and $20,400 for the LS w/FEL. Thoughts?

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #2  
When I shopped earlier this year, the final four brands considered were Kioti, Bobcat, Kubota and Mahindra. Each of these had a fair amount of good press here and on other sites.

A few others were ruled out because they were made by the same company (LS) that produced the Montana. My first-hand experience with a Montana we have at work was the reason. It was purchased new, so it isn't as though it came from a neglectful owner. When we needed parts, they came via a very slow boat. There were a couple electrical problems that were eventually worked out. Removing and reinstalling the loader required three men, big hammers, prybars and a drill. It could last a long time but it sure is a rough piece of equipment.

In contrast, I removed the loader from my Kubota yesterday to make it easier to make connections for the heater. It's been parked in the weld shop at work for the past several weeks getting a cab. I pulled it forward, removed the loader and backed it to where it was being worked on in less than one minute. It goes back on just as easily.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #3  
I like the bigger front tires on the LS but I never looked at them closely.
Just make sure to compare apples to apples, the DK is pretty loaded from the start. SSQA, telescopic 3pth arms, 1 remote, rear position control lever, cruise control, fancy seat, etc.
I think the LS comes with alot of features standard too so maybe the prices won't even out if equipped the same.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #4  
Like the title says, I'm looking at these two for a purchase in the very near future. We have 15 acres, which could grow to 50-60 in the next year or so. The terrain is mostly level, with a lot of newer growth trees, much of which is dead Ash. There is a derelict house on one parcel, and once that comes down, I plan to clear that lot of the scrub brush and smaller trees, and see if one of the local farmers would be interested in putting beans or corn in (primary crops around here)....probably something like 3 acres to farm. That parcel, plus a second, have a boatload of old garbage, dilapidated sheds, chicken coops, chain link fence that needs pulling, piles of old telephone poles, etc, i.e. a significant amount of cleanup. Between those two, I also plan to put in a shooting backstop that's something along the lines of 50' wide by 8+ feet tall (USPSA/IPSC shooter). If I need something really big, I can borrow a loader, excavator, dozer, etc from a neighbor, but don't want to wear out that welcome.

Which would you pick, and why? Side note: I need to stay with a hydrostatic transmission so my wife can help with mowing, and brush hogging. The local dealer carries both, seems very responsive, and has been in business 30+ years. They're asking $22,250 for the Kioti w/FEL, and $20,400 for the LS w/FEL. Thoughts?
I can only comment on my 2008 Kioti DK40se with KL401 front loader.I have around 300 hours on the clock and it has been flawless with NO issues.The only thing I would have changed I would have got the ag tires verses the R4 tires.coobie

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H
The LS does have telescoping lower links, bigger tires, two remotes, a rear work light, an extra year on the warranty, and I think a 7-pin trailer plug. The Kioti has one remote, no work light, no 7-pin, but it's a bit wider and longer (which should improve it's stability), the loader can lift an additional 260lbs to about 12" higher, and the driver's seat reclines.

Those aren't huge differences, but the extra remote, larger tires and rear work light are attractive considering the LS is nearly $2K less expensive. I'm not out to pinch pennies, but the difference would pay for the forklift attachment and most of a larger brush hog or finish mower (haven't decided which of those two will be first), so it's a consideration.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #6  
The LS does have telescoping lower links, bigger tires, two remotes, a rear work light, an extra year on the warranty, and I think a 7-pin trailer plug. The Kioti has one remote, no work light, no 7-pin, but it's a bit wider and longer (which should improve it's stability), the loader can lift an additional 260lbs to about 12" higher, and the driver's seat reclines.

Those aren't huge differences, but the extra remote, larger tires and rear work light are attractive considering the LS is nearly $2K less expensive. I'm not out to pinch pennies, but the difference would pay for the forklift attachment and most of a larger brush hog or finish mower (haven't decided which of those two will be first), so it's a consideration.
Have your dealer throw in the rear work light.My DK40 has the telescoping lower links also.coobie

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #7  

Have you checked with Michigan Iron & equipment,they are a Kioti dealer located in Mt morris Mi.Best Kioti dealer in the state of MI.coobie

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #8  
I looked at LS, Massey, McCorrmick, TYM and probably a couple others. My key item was a front mount blower and only the Massey and Kioti had a true offering. At the end of the day I went with the Kioti since the blower kit was $5500 vs $11000 for the Massey, I don't need an $11000 blower, the Kioti blower is more then enough for my needs.

The other thing was I liked the Kioti dealers personality, I felt he wasn't just in it for the sale, he took the time to make sure I got the right machine with the right pieces.

The single biggest reason why I excluded LS and TYM was my concern about parts supply. The dealer had a mobile repair truck which was free while your machine was covered under warrantee but it doesn't do me a lot of good if I'm waiting a couple weeks for something to arrive.

In the end the Kioti has served me well so far and I'm very happy with my choice.

Jason

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H
Have your dealer throw in the rear work light.My DK40 has the telescoping lower links also.coobie

I should have been more clear; the DK does have telescoping lower arms. I think that used to be optional on LS, but appears standard now.

/ Kioti DK40SE HST(C) Versus LS R4041H #10  
The 7 pin connector is there, on the Kioti you just need the little end connector kit it snaps on to, and the bracket, and the work light wiring is there and hot too, just need to buy and install the work light. pretty minor stuff.

James K0UA