Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Default Re: Shootout at high noon tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by jmwilson View Post
    For some reason my wife got upset about post #27 Attachment 295524
    "Junk in the trunk" doesn't sound right when discussing tractors.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

I run my rear tires at what the manual calls 71.7" tread width. With an 18.4" tire that figures out to 90.1" overall width. Just outside of my 84" bucket. The inside of my front tires and the inside of my rears are the same width. This puts the outside of my fronts just inside the 84" bucket. Like TripleR I am on steep ground often. With loaded rears it makes the tractor extremely stable. Mine were set like he runs his when I got it from the dealer. I moved mine out one setting before I loaded them. Since each tire has 700lbs of fluid, it would be a CHALLENGE to move them after they are filled!!! If you are buying your tractor with loaded rears you might want to determine the width setting and have the dealer do that for you before he loads them.
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    I run my rear tires at what the manual calls 71.7" tread width. With an 18.4" tire that figures out to 90.1" overall width. Just outside of my 84" bucket. The inside of my front tires and the inside of my rears are the same width. This puts the outside of my fronts just inside the 84" bucket. Like TripleR I am on steep ground often. With loaded rears it makes the tractor extremely stable. Mine were set like he runs his when I got it from the dealer. I moved mine out one setting before I loaded them. Since each tire has 700lbs of fluid, it would be a CHALLENGE to move them after they are filled!!! If you are buying your tractor with loaded rears you might want to determine the width setting and have the dealer do that for you before he loads them.
    I see this as an excuse to have a second tractor with fel and forks

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    How much of a difference, stability wise, do you think it makes with loaded tires at your 90" width, vs loaded tires at the minimum width, of 79"?
    Obviously it is more stable at the wider stance, but I'm curious if it's a LOT more, or just a bit more? Hard to explain I'm sure.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    How much of a difference, stability wise, do you think it makes with loaded tires at your 90" width, vs loaded tires at the minimum width, of 79"?
    Obviously it is more stable at the wider stance, but I'm curious if it's a LOT more, or just a bit more? Hard to explain I'm sure.
    I had a guy wayyyyyyy smarter than me figure it out using mathematical equations. It actually makes quite a difference. But then he was talking about a static tractor and theoretically tilting it until it fell over. For me it's more of a feeling of stability on the move and being able to get farther before hitting that "tip" point. I think the only way to know for sure would be to roll the tractor. Something I hope to never do!!!

I considered setting my rears out to their farthest position. But then to get my fronts out to match I would have had to reverse the center cones. My manual says to not do that. But I see pictures of tractors set out that way frequently.

With all that said, I was a bit concerned about running radial tires because of their naturally soft sidewalls. They definitely allow more body roll than bias tires would.
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post

As if we need more excuses!!!
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    When I purchased my L3400 the rear wheels were probably 57" outside tread to outside tread. Almost rolled the tractor on day 2 of ownership so I widened the rear to the max rear wheel spacing like 62". It made a world of difference even though I only gained 5". I am still cautious but feel a lot more stability when on a sidehill.

Bronze Member

Are you kidding me! I'm not going to be able to afford a rotary cutter until I save up a little more money. I plan on setting the rear tires out and filling them. Same on the front, but do you guys fill the front tires also?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Are you kidding me! I'm not going to be able to afford a rotary cutter until I save up a little more money. I plan on setting the rear tires out and filling them. Same on the front, but do you guys fill the front tires also?
    I don't believe fronts are normally filled because of the additional strain it would place on the axle. If a FEL is mounted that provides plenty of weight. Without an FEL I believe front hanging weights are the best solution.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I don't fill mine, like sdkubota, I just put the FEL on for front weight; front weights are a good idea if you are going to run without a FEL and need the weight but I'm too lazy to fool with them, so I just hook up to the FEL.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast