Shootout at high noon tomorrow

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #32  
I run my rear tires at what the manual calls 71.7" tread width. With an 18.4" tire that figures out to 90.1" overall width. Just outside of my 84" bucket. The inside of my front tires and the inside of my rears are the same width. This puts the outside of my fronts just inside the 84" bucket. Like TripleR I am on steep ground often. With loaded rears it makes the tractor extremely stable. Mine were set like he runs his when I got it from the dealer. I moved mine out one setting before I loaded them. Since each tire has 700lbs of fluid, it would be a CHALLENGE to move them after they are filled!!! If you are buying your tractor with loaded rears you might want to determine the width setting and have the dealer do that for you before he loads them.

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #33  
I run my rear tires at what the manual calls 71.7" tread width. With an 18.4" tire that figures out to 90.1" overall width. Just outside of my 84" bucket. The inside of my front tires and the inside of my rears are the same width. This puts the outside of my fronts just inside the 84" bucket. Like TripleR I am on steep ground often. With loaded rears it makes the tractor extremely stable. Mine were set like he runs his when I got it from the dealer. I moved mine out one setting before I loaded them. Since each tire has 700lbs of fluid, it would be a CHALLENGE to move them after they are filled!!! If you are buying your tractor with loaded rears you might want to determine the width setting and have the dealer do that for you before he loads them.

I see this as an excuse to have a second tractor with fel and forks :D

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #34  

How much of a difference, stability wise, do you think it makes with loaded tires at your 90" width, vs loaded tires at the minimum width, of 79"?
Obviously it is more stable at the wider stance, but I'm curious if it's a LOT more, or just a bit more? Hard to explain I'm sure.

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #35  
How much of a difference, stability wise, do you think it makes with loaded tires at your 90" width, vs loaded tires at the minimum width, of 79"?
Obviously it is more stable at the wider stance, but I'm curious if it's a LOT more, or just a bit more? Hard to explain I'm sure.

I had a guy wayyyyyyy smarter than me figure it out using mathematical equations. It actually makes quite a difference. But then he was talking about a static tractor and theoretically tilting it until it fell over. For me it's more of a feeling of stability on the move and being able to get farther before hitting that "tip" point. I think the only way to know for sure would be to roll the tractor. Something I hope to never do!!! ;)

I considered setting my rears out to their farthest position. But then to get my fronts out to match I would have had to reverse the center cones. My manual says to not do that. But I see pictures of tractors set out that way frequently.

With all that said, I was a bit concerned about running radial tires because of their naturally soft sidewalls. They definitely allow more body roll than bias tires would.

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #36  
   / Shootout at high noon tomorrow #37  

When I purchased my L3400 the rear wheels were probably 57" outside tread to outside tread. Almost rolled the tractor on day 2 of ownership so I widened the rear to the max rear wheel spacing like 62". It made a world of difference even though I only gained 5". I am still cautious but feel a lot more stability when on a sidehill.

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow
Are you kidding me! I'm not going to be able to afford a rotary cutter until I save up a little more money. I plan on setting the rear tires out and filling them. Same on the front, but do you guys fill the front tires also?

I see this as an excuse to have a second tractor with fel and forks :D

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #39  
Are you kidding me! I'm not going to be able to afford a rotary cutter until I save up a little more money. I plan on setting the rear tires out and filling them. Same on the front, but do you guys fill the front tires also?

I don't believe fronts are normally filled because of the additional strain it would place on the axle. If a FEL is mounted that provides plenty of weight. Without an FEL I believe front hanging weights are the best solution.

/ Shootout at high noon tomorrow #40  

I don't fill mine, like sdkubota, I just put the FEL on for front weight; front weights are a good idea if you are going to run without a FEL and need the weight but I'm too lazy to fool with them, so I just hook up to the FEL.