Buying Advice Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #1  

gpierc

Tractor
John Deere
Hi:

I'd welcome any advice about picking the right JD for some property (20 acres) that I am in the process of purchasing. I'm going to build a house on the property and put up a pole barn. About 7 acres of the property is in grass and the rest is forest. The driveway is long (400 feet) and we get a LOT of snow here in Central New York. I figured I'd use a FEL to plow the snow and general jobs and get a back hoe as well. I'll need to get a mowing deck to mow the grass. I looked at a JD 2520 today and it seemed to be a good fit, but to be honest, I have little experience (but LOTS of interest in a new toy!).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #2  
Save yourself the aggravation and forget the mid-mount mower. The mower will constantly be in the way for other 'tractor work' and no matter how easy it seems to take on and off you'll often leave it on when you shouldn't. With that said, I think you should get an inexpensive riding mower for the grass around the house, then get a slightly larger tractor for the rest of the land. I'm not real up on the compact Deeres, but I think you'd want at least a 2720, and possibly even one of the smaller 3000 series.

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property
Thanks for the advice. I do use a JD 130 for the 1 acre of grass we currently have, so I could use that around the house at the new place. I'll look into the models that you suggested that I consider--thanks! Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #4  
I figured I'd use a FEL to plow the snow and general jobs and get a back hoe as well.

You'll do it once, then you'll look for another solution. you don't so much plow with a FEL you 'dig' the driveway out. You'll be much better served with a plow, or blower.

I'd rent a backhoe when you need one.. you'll spend 5,000 + to buy one, and you can rent for about $600 for a weekend around my area. The rental will be bigger, stronger, and get more done faster than your small tractor backhoe. Also it will do things your little one just can't.

I've had a small tractor with a backhoe, and still wound up renting a LB75 a few times to get bigger stuff done, or do things that the little one never could. I upsized to a m59 and now I want for a big machine alot less. :laughing:

I'll need to get a mowing deck to mow the grass.

A mid deck will cost you 2000+. The same money will get you a dedicated lawn mower. You can use that to keep the grass up near the house neat and clean. I'd imagine much of the 7 acres will be able to be kept 'rough' mowed with a bush hog, or a rear finish mower.

I found my mid deck was enough of a pain to swap on/off on the kubota that I often left it on when doing things that it would have been better to have it off. My traction/clearance/mobility suffered and the deck took some hits I rather it didn't. :mad:

The other plus of a small grass cutter, is my wife decided she was able to tackle the mowing job, while I'm out in the fields with the bigger machines.

deere 20, kubota B, its hard to make a bad choice with either. I'd pick based on a GOOD local dealer.

Many thanks for your advice. I do have a JD 130 that does a great job mowing and I can use that around the house, as you suggest. I hadn't thought of the "rent" option, which also makes a lot of sense with regards to the backhoe. I've watched some YouTube videos of JDs with a blower and they look like they do a really nice job with the snow. The good news is that I've been wanting to upgrade my bass boat and the savings might just go to that! Thanks, Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #6  
I recommend a gently used 2040 or similar tractor for your needs. Hard to beat some nice old iron.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I appreciate the advice! Best, Greg

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #8  
for sure dont waste your money on the back hoe attachment . i had the 2520 set up just like your describing and the back hoe and the mmm was more trouble than they were worth . if i were you i would get the tractor and a USED bushhog finish mower and a nice snow blower for the front of the tractor and be all set .

/ Looking for the best JD for 20 acres of property #9  
You want as much HP as you can get, a 2720 or a 3000 series would be great.

What is your future plan for the wooded area? That may depend on what tractor you get.

For snow, you want a blade or blower, a bucket won't work. For field grass, you want a rotary cutter. Many to choose from.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to share your advice. I'll check with the local dealers about the items you mentioned.