Buying Advice B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #1  

tc18ny

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota B3200HSD
The good news - been tractor shopping and have the green light from the other half. The problem if you want to call it one - a big price difference. The Bota's are from a local dealer who has been around for years and known for their good customer support. The Max from a dealer about 35 minutes away who has been around for 60 years and gets mixed reviews for customer support. All machines with Hydrostatic and industrial tires.
-The B2920 with loader, 50'' bucket, 48'' rotary cutter (landpride), 60'' RFM (landpride) and loaded rear tires is $19690 plus tax including rebate.
-The B3200HSD with loader, 60'' bucket, 60'' rotary cutter (landpride), 72'' RFM (landpride) and loaded rear tires is $21215 plus tax including rebate.
-The Max28XL with loader, 54'' bucket, 60'' rotary cutter (mahindra), 60'' RFM (mahindra) without loaded tires (dealer says I don't need it) is $16800 plus tax including rebate.

I still have to go look at the Max and drive it but wow what a difference in price! Anyone have any advice on the capability differences in these machines with the attachments that I will be getting? Can the Max handle a 72'' RFM if I decide to go up a size? Would I want to have the rears loaded on the Max?
Thanks in advance

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #2  
I just read this review

http://www.tractor.com/manufacturers/mahindra/2012-mahindra-max-28-xl-hst-review-1518.html

Seems like a lot of tractor for the price!

Only thing I saw that was (a big omission) on the MAX is the 3 speed hydro yet most bx or JD owners don't really mind the 2 range hydro.

I have no personal experience with the Max line or the B3200 but can speak to the b2920.

Great little tractor with zero issues after 4 hard winters of residential snow removal.

Maybe other members with the other two machines will chime in

What is your intended use/purpose?

Good luck

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck
Uses will be about 45% cutting grass, 25% loader work/snow removal, 20% rotary cutter in old pastures, 10% moving and splitting firewood. I have 12 acres with about 1 being grass, 3 being old pastures, 1-1/2 being hardwoods and the rest is brush. I also have 2 ponds to maintain and mow around. After looking at the Kubotas, the B3200 is the biggest size as far as chassis that I want. I don't know how the Max compares to it but I'm going in the morning to look at it.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #4  
Wow- the Max looks like a lot of tractor for the money. I myself would give it a hard look, and I am very loyal to Kubota.
I wouldn't in my area, though- the only Mahindra dealer stopped carrying the line, and the local Kubota dealer is wonderful (Beverage Tractor of Stuarts Draft, VA).

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck
I just looked through the specs again on the Max. On their website Mahindra compares the specs against an L3200 which is impressive for this size of machine. If the specs are correct, it outperforms the B3200 in many areas. What I'm unsure of - how is the reliability and parts availability compared to Kubota. It looks like there are 3 dealers within 70 miles or so of me which isn't too shabby.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #6  
I've got the b2920 and its been great.minuse it for loader work, firewood, backhoe work and chipping. I would look at the resale as well ad it'll factor into total cost. I personally would really miss not having a 3 speed hydro. You'll probably have a good idea of what you want after driving them all. I know i did.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #7  
I just looked through the specs again on the Max. On their website Mahindra compares the specs against an L3200 which is impressive for this size of machine. If the specs are correct, it outperforms the B3200 in many areas. What I'm unsure of - how is the reliability and parts availability compared to Kubota. It looks like there are 3 dealers within 70 miles or so of me which isn't too shabby.

Mahindra really seems to compare their tractors to whatever is convenient at the time. The Max28 is actually larger than the B3200, but it somehow seems to get compared to everything from a BX through the B* series on up. You really feel the weight of the Mahindra, as it's very planted even without adding tire or implement ballast. It is a very impressive machine for the price, although my dealer tells me MSRP went up by $2400 on Jan 1. The main thing I don't like about it are the very softly tuned HST drive, making precision control of the tractor a little tricky on slopes and near obstacles. This is evidently not tunable. I also have to transport between parts of a large property and find the 2 range HST rather limiting. The machine runs and drives very nicely- fit, finish and operation are better than JD in my opinion, and clearly better than Kioti or LS. I don't find it to be as "refined" as Kubota's offerings, but that's not a functional or operational deficit.

Another thing I missed about the Mahindra was the apparent lack of a quick attach option for the bucket and pallet forks. Why this would be, I have no idea, but my dealer said although he "might" be able to get pin-on forks, there was definitely no QA available. Seems like a shame, especially with Mahindra's claimed loader capacity. You may notice that Kubota sets the loader hydraulic relief pressure so that you can just barely lift unballasted rear tires off the ground, which as light as the machines are kind of artificially limits what they can lift. The Mahindra has enough cast iron in the rear end that they can easily allow the loader to lift more while staying within "safety" parameters.

At any rate, the Kubota B2920 and B3200 are stellar machines, but the Mahindra is definitely worth a good look. I don't think you would be disappointed in it as long as you have good dealer support - Mahindra dealers around here are practically fly by night, and the current dealerships aren't very reliable.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #8  
I recommend you drive each one of the tractors and see what you like the best. Also look at the way the tractor is built to see what tractor you think is built the best. You should check prices at at lest 3 dealers once you narrow down a specific model. One reason the Mahindra is cheaper because of the implements. They are not bad but I don't think it is quite as good as the landpride. I think the Mahindra implements are made by Kodiak. Mahindra compare the smaller Max's to the BX but they are closer to a B2320, B2620, and B2920. I don't know why they are comparing the Max 28 to a L3200 when it is comparable to a L3200. The max is a Mitsubishi built tractor.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #9  
I looked at all of the same tractors plus the Yanmar SX3100.

For me it came down to this:

Max 28 - Specs are impressive when compared to the other tractors, but I don't know if they are true or accurate....kind of lost my faith in a lot of advertisements nowadays. Up close and personal with the Max, I didn't like the way the joystick was mounted for the front loader, it looks like an afterthought that was cobbled together out of spare parts. Sizewise, the Max looked like a lawn tractor on steroids.

I liked the Yanmar, but I'm not sure of long term dealership support. I'm sure Yanmar will be around for a long time, it's been around for a long time. Just not sure if there are a lot of dealers for Yanmar out there. Specs were good, tractor was a nice unit. The only down side was that the driver's area was a bit of a tight fit.

The B2920 was a little too small for me.

I ended up buying a B3200 with FEL and BH. The B3200 is physically larger than the Max28, it may not matter to you but it did to me. One of the biggest deciding factors for me is long term support. I'm retiring in two years and plan on moving to a different state. Kubota has a lot more dealers than Yanmar and Mahindra so wherever I end up I'm sure there will be a Kubota dealer somewhere nearby if I need service and parts. All three are Japanese tractors, (the Mahindra is actually a Mistubishi) so I'm sure the quality and longevity on any of them will be the same. I spent about $1,500 more for the Kubota over the Yanmar but I'm happy with my purchase. I could have got an L3200 for a little more than I paid for the B3200, but for what I want I didn't need (or want) the extra weight. The L series is a heavier duty tractor than the B series.

/ B2920 vs B3200HSD vs Max28XL - I'm stuck #10  
No wrong choices there.

I have the max28xl. It's a beast. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it gets the job done. My experience is the specs are true. I do all short drives, so no need for 3 speeds.

I have the kodiak/mahindra 5 foot RFM and pallet forks. The forks go on the loader and the 3 point hitch. They are heavy, but strong.

The max28xl will out lift your other choices.

That's a main reason I picked it.