Buying Advice Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #11  
Get a nice Ford 8n,9n,NAA with appropriate shredder. Would be under $2,000 in good running condition. I see 20 a week listed on my local Craigs here in Texas. That's what I wanted to get myself but I found a cool little Satoh Beaver for $1,800 with shredder ready to work. It would be perfect for your 3 acres, I mowed down 20 acres with it. It took about 15 hours but would knock out 3 acres in about 2 hours or so. Just a little 15hp 2 cyl diesel, 2wd with 48" Bush Hog shredder in the back. I don't have a FEL (front end loader) and would like one, but not for this tractor. If I get a FEL, I'm getting something more in line with a Ford 3000/6000 something with 45HP+. I have my eye on a Leyland with 88HP but it's $5,000 and I don't really need it.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #12  
I recommend you get something with live pto and hydraulics. If you get something with a loader be sure it has power steering.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #13  
I just checked the local craigslist and found 3 kubota with 4 foot bush hog type mowers and other attachments for less than $6 grand
fortmyers.craigslist dot org/lee/grd/3522127399.html
fortmyers.craigslist dot org/lee/grd/3516708068.html
fortmyers.craigslist dot org/lee/grd/3493860597.html

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #14  
A used JD 2305 or similar size and brand with 500ish hrs (tractor loader mower) can be had around for $9000. It would be a nice machine and very capabable. An old(196? or 195?) ford 8n or 9n with a descent bushog will more than do the trick. You can likely pick that up in good condition for $2000-3000. Those old tractor have lots of life left in them. Or finance a new machine. A craftsmen type machine with a belly mower won't last if it's really rough going, you'll ruin the deck in no time. Good luck and welcome aboard!!

Obviously price veries by region.

yelbike, the OP stated $5000 so $9000 is amost twice that figure.:confused:

I have had several customers with riding mowers in the same predicament as the OP. They have hired me to come in amd smooth out their property so that they can maintain it with their mowers. This might be the simple and practical solution for this case too.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #15  
He also just have somebody mow it once or twice a year.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #16  
   / Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #18  
yelbike, the OP stated $5000 so $9000 is amost twice that figure.:confused:

I have had several customers with riding mowers in the same predicament as the OP. They have hired me to come in amd smooth out their property so that they can maintain it with their mowers. This might be the simple and practical solution for this case too.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. If your neighbor has haying equipment, maybe he has a disc and harrows that he can disc up that rough ground and drag it smooth or if really bad use a box blade or better still a land plane. $50 per acre would be a high price for discing and dragging a harrow over it and then you could use a lawnmower to maintain it. I have about 5 acres that I mow with a Craftsman ZTR and some of it is fairly rough but not so bad as to damage the mower.
After discing and mowing, pulling a compactor roller over it should really smooth it

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #19  
least investment?

get an old ford from 1939-1964 and a 5; mower.

you can usually find something like that inthe 1800-3000$ range depending on where you are.

preferably stay in the 55-64 range.. that is the hundred+ series. before that is the NAA for a couple years. decent machine.. less parts support for hyds. and before that is the N series.. 9-2-8

PLENTY of parts support.. but less features.

all models in that range with a pto will power a 5' mower, and would be ideal and cheap for 3ac. many times you can find them with a mower or blade and or a trailer sometimes..

post back if ya need any help

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #20  
I don't know if you know it but you can get a new tractor for 0% APR. You could get a Kubota B2620 with a loader for around $15000 plus tax. If you take the 5k your were going to spend on the old tractor and put down your payments would be $172 plus tax. Then if you watch craigslist you could find a 4' rotary cutter for around $500 maybe less if you are lucky.