Buying Advice Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #41  
Great post, thanks! It's gonna get printed out. I will need to figure out what the "crankcase ventilation blow-by" is, lol. . .

OK, on any internal combustion engine, some of the compressed air/fuel vapor will leak past the piston rings and valve seals. This is worse on a diesel because of the higher compression ratio.
On your car or pickup, you have a pcv valve that lets "blow-by" vapors go back into the intake.
Most tractors, heavy equipment, big trucks, etc, don't do that. They are just vented into the air via a "slobber tube."
I tried to find a pic of a x000 or x600 tractor that showed one, but couldn't. Here's a pic of a NH 3010 that does: NH 3010
The slobber tube is just in front of the oil filter.

And, here's a pic of a CAT engine: CAT 3176 engine
The slobber tube is the large black hose that comes out of the valve cover and goes down to the bottom of the engine. (between the two filter units)

Hope that helps.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #42  
If you only want to cut grass, and keep it cut down, a ZTR will do 3 acres very easily. Our church mows a 2.9 acre lot with a riding mower, it's not that bad. Get a 4' deck.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #43  
Thanks for the ideas! Now more questions...

I like the idea of smoothing out the pasture, but it is flood irrigated via gated pipe, so that isn't an option, correct?

You should be able to disc up those rowed up areas to get them flat regardless of irrigation type. Someone got machinery in there to make those rows so the same machinery should be able to flatten them out. Then just about any mower would work. Might have to move some pipe buy they are generally of aluminum and easily handled by hand

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #44  
One more thing,

on the 2000 or 3000, power steering was an OPTION. I wouldn't buy one without it. IIRC, P/S was standard equipement on the x600 series. (I've never seen one without it)
Also, in the x000 series, you could get gas or diesel. I prefer the diesel engines.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #45  
i for sure prefer diesel in the 65+ and gas in the 64-

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #46  
You should be able to disc up those rowed up areas to get them flat regardless of irrigation type. Someone got machinery in there to make those rows so the same machinery should be able to flatten them out. Then just about any mower would work. Might have to move some pipe buy they are generally of aluminum and easily handled by hand

You could rent a tractor for a weekend to do this.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #47  
I use to mow 5 acres with a TO20. It wasn't pleasent.When all of that old iron got hot in mid summer it was hot ridding that old tractor.But, it got the job done.. I sold it and the 4 foot brush cutter for $2500.00 about 8 yrs ago

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #48  
I also vote 3000/3600 ford tractor. Power steering a must,also confirm it has positive traction(small pedal on back corner of right floor board). We have a 1974 gas 3000 that has always been an excellent tractor. These tractors have a live pto unlike earlier model 8n 9n model type tractors. They will easily handle any bush hogging or mowing work for your acreage. Ours has mowed,raked, and baled 15 acres of hay and 30 acres of pasture twice a year since it was new. These type tractors do not have all the bells and whistles of a new machine but they were built when things were built to last. Good luck and happy shopping.
A small side not: I prefer mowing all day on the 37 year old ford with a nh 451 sickle mower over mowing with the 2 year old JD 5083 with cab and air and the new Kuhn disc mower due to how nimble and responsive the ford is.

image-561272450.jpg

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #49  
I would think it is pointless to get too specific about brands and models of used tractors unless the OP is willing to travel a long way to get one. Out west with lower population density there isn't as much equipment to choose from. Might be more useful to have the OP post pics and info on tractors he is considering the purchase of to get specific comments.

Really need more information about the land and irrigation system to decide what is the best way to handle the field. If this is resolved it would help with tractor sizing and equipment best suited to the purpose.
I would also think that snow equipment needs a lot of consideration in Idaho, last time I worked there the snow was several feet deep.

In summary the OP needs to do a little asking around of the old timers to get a better idea of what is needed in his locale= more information in order to make an informed decision.

/ Minimum $$ investment to mow 3 ac of pasture #50  
Steve:

Thanks for reiterating to the group my earlier comment that used equipment for those of us west of Kansas tends to be rare, let alone finding decent used equipment. Although other posters have all made good suggestions in my opinion for used equipment to meet the OP's needs; they have the luxury of choice since they are in the Midwest and points east.

I think your suggestions to the OP are good ones.