Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #1  

Conn1962

Tractor
None
Ive looked at sub compact but i tend to like the B20 or 21. Seem very pricey for old machine. Is $12,500 a lot for 1000 hour machine? Other brands to consider . This one has fel and backhoe.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #2  
:welcome:

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #3  
Price seems to be in line with what I found doing a quck google search. Anything with a backhoe brings more money. If it looks to be in good shape and it meets your needs I'd start negotiating a mutually beneficial price. What you see on line is an asking price, so don't be afraid to deal accrodingly.

I had some luck calling a local dealer and asking what an appropriate price would be.

I believe these tractors have a place for storage of the 3-point lift arm under the tractor. I'd make certain all the components are there as they are very expensive to buy from Kubota. Are the manulals available?

I'm certain someone with more knowledge on tractor valuation will chime in to help you out.

Good luck.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #4  
The B20/B21 are considered industrial models and therefore will generally bring more money. They are probably worth that if in good shape. I'd expect to get at least another 2000hrs out of them with reasonable care and maintenance so the hours wouldn't worry me.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #5  
The B20-21's are industrial grade machines that are ruggedized (don't know if that's a real word :confused2:) for heavy-duty use. That accounts for their higher price when new or on the used market.

Just a few thoughts, my opinion only:

a) Be careful what you are buying with a used industrial unit like these B20-21's. Lots of those models went to rental yards, utility crews, building trades, etc. If they were privately-owned, they may be great, but if they lived the hard life they were designed for, they may be well worn and need lots of TLC. Up to you whether that's a good way to go or not.

b) Kubota offers a whole family of non-industrial models in the "B" series, with or without backhoes, that generally are more affordable. If you're not going to be using it under severe conditions you can probably find a great little tractor and still save yourself some money with one of those models.

c) Although Kubota probably sells more of this size equipment than the others, the other major brands also have very good equipment in that size range. You may find another brand that depreciates quicker and may offer better price as a used unit. If you're shopping for used equipment, getting a good unit that has been taken care of can mean more than which brand it might be, so keep an open mind when kicking tires.

Good luck finding what you want!

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #6  
Probably a little high and there may be wiggle room but not horrific.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #7  
I don't think it's high. I bought a B21 two years ago for $10k, without the backhoe (didn't have it and I didn't need it). It had 1400 hrs on it. I gave the dealer another $1k to completely service it, replace all the rubber pedals, and provide all new 3 pt. parts. I bought a BB and blade for it.

The water pump went out after only a few hours use but I'm kinda glad it did because it gave me the excuse to go over the engine completely, cleaning it and getting to know it. I did replace all the FEL hoses as they did start to leak, one by one. When the third one started leaking, I went and replaced all the rest. Now the hoses will outlast the tractor.

I did go ahead and completely restore the thing, bringing it to showroom condition. All for fun rather than necessity.

I use it regularly to cut in new pads on my sloped 10 acres. It takes a lot of punishment and will move some very large rocks.

DSC05733.jpg

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #8  
I have a B26 (latest version of B20/21/26 TLB) and it is a great little tractor. For an example of value pricing, go to the Kubota tractor website and build your own B26 then price the same horsepower in the B 2620 or B2920. Compare new prices of each and then you will see why the used B 20/21/26 models list for way more than a comparable 26 HP tractor in any brand. Spec wise they are much heavier, stronger, faster etc than comparable 26 HP TLB that add on a frame mounted loader and backhoe rather than having the TLB built as an intergral unit. They also have a full underbelly skid plate which other tractors with added backhoe dont have. Are they worth the almost double price? I guess that is up to the folks who buy them. I bought mine used and got a pretty good deal on price compared to new Kubota build your own price. For what I got the BYU price now is $42K but I have heard that you can buy them for right at $38K which is still over 10K more than a normal CUT with FEL and BH of that size. I got mine (2009 model in 2012) for $25K with 160 hours on it most of which was using a rotary cutter. I hope this helps in identifying why the TLB Kubotas are priced high in the used market.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #9  
I don't think it's high. I bought a B21 two years ago for $10k, without the backhoe (didn't have it and I didn't need it). It had 1400 hrs on it. I gave the dealer another $1k to completely service it, replace all the rubber pedals, and provide all new 3 pt. parts. I bought a BB and blade for it.

The water pump went out after only a few hours use but I'm kinda glad it did because it gave me the excuse to go over the engine completely, cleaning it and getting to know it. I did replace all the FEL hoses as they did start to leak, one by one. When the third one started leaking, I went and replaced all the rest. Now the hoses will outlast the tractor.

I did go ahead and completely restore the thing, bringing it to showroom condition. All for fun rather than necessity.

I use it regularly to cut in new pads on my sloped 10 acres. It takes a lot of punishment and will move some very large rocks.

DSC05733.jpg

Dennis,
Your tractor looks great, nice durable machine.

/ Looking to buy used kubota. First time buyer #10  
Thank you sir. I had some trepidation at first about the smaller size. It didn't take long to dispel that notion. We have many flower beds and the small size works to my advantage.